Dash layout

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Dash layout

Post by simonjrwinter »

Trying to design a dash layout that will suit me ( not going with an “original” layout)
Can anybody see any immediate issues with this?
Simon
8DC49CD6-17DB-4EBB-8ADC-2190C42E2ABC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
simonjrwinter

Re: Dash layout

Post by simonjrwinter »

35008863-2AA2-40EF-A04B-4BBCF239DFDD.jpeg
Changed already due to clearance issues
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Suggest you check on the distance of gauge body relative to the A frame bar.
Remember they angle down slightly and I assume you will have a capillary connection on the water and oil temp gauges.
I can recommend fitting LED bulbs whilst you have the gauges out. I went for warm white to keep the ‘older ‘ look but the visibility of each gauge is so much better than the standard incandescent bulbs.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Thanks peter, all seems to fit fine, not much space left for switches/warning light/ ign switch!
277AF29A-A31D-44E8-AAA2-0A31694F8980.jpeg
I can clearly see speedo, oil pressure and temp gauges. Tacho from 2K to 6K fuel gauge and volt meter partially obscured. Indicator and high beam warning lights will squeeze into the area above the wheel boss. IGN switch between fuel and clock, lights/ wipers between speedo and tacho. Heater and fan override under tacho, indicator switch on RHD of oil gauge by fingertip, horn underneath oil and volt gauges. Anything I’ve missed?
Simon
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Not my cup of tea, but being "old school", I prefer all my engine instruments to be in the one place so I can scan them quickly in one go, with all the needles pointing in the same direction when all is well. That way you easily spot when one is out of sync. My speedo was a bit awkward to see at 30 mph, but I have offset the steering wheel so when travelling straight ahead it isn't obscured by the steering wheel spoke.

(Incidentally Peter, can you give me details of your LED bulbs and where you got them please.)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Well, I’ve tried to lay my gauges out so the important ones (Speedo, oil pressure and temp) are viewable when driving the car without having to move my head. Volt meter and fuel gauge not so important so they’re partially obscured. Not original but it’ll suit me (I hope)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Just my 10 peneth, it is your car so do what you want, but I've never heard of anyone that has started with an original layout and changed it to something more personal. Plenty however, have started with a bespoke layout and changed it to a more original layout at a later date. 8)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Couldn’t get on with the original dash layout. the picture doesn’t do justice to the visibility of the gauges.....
Simon
Migge

Post by Migge »

Simon, the Hawk hast Not original dash dimensions. The original dashboard bottom edge sits lower. Because the Hawks floor is higher then original, the steering wheel position ist higher too because one needs the space for sitting and steering. My two pence: mount your seat as low as possible and mount your steering wheel as low as possible. Then you may get enough space to mount the gauges in the right places and get a chance to see them :-)
Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive and any others interested the LED bulbs can be found on the web at - bettercarlighting.co.uk
The company name appears to called The 4Sight Lighting Co. located in Broom, Warwickshire.
They were very accommodating and would have even been happy to take back my test of a green bulb.
I believe Bill Telford used green and as I had green dash lights on a previous car many many years ago I thought I would try it.
My eyesight has obviously changed over the years and the warm white was far better for me personally.
The bulb is 501 for the smiths style gauges. I paid £4.99 each.
If you have any queries after looking at the extensive web site just give them a ring they are clearly very knowledgeable.
Peter C