Edelbrock Performer erratic water temperature

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Edelbrock Performer erratic water temperature

Post by stu60 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi All
for those of you with too much time on your hands... have a look at this and let me know waht you think.

http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/V8N ... 9.1.08.pdf

rgds
Stuart

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Stuart.
An interesting and thorough investigation making a good read albeit centered around a standard MGB V8 rather than a Cobra installation.
Certainly thought provoking.
I was surprised at the revelation of the position of the heater return pipe being close to the by-pass port on the pump having a significant effect on the cooling suggesting that the engineers made an error.
I would have to consider how that affects my set up in so much as my heater piping is different to start with. I do not have any isolation valve on that circuit plus the heater inlet coming from rear of the manifold goes into the top of the heater and the bottom returns under the manifold. I had worked on the same principle of the rad and the cooler water would naturally want to exit from the bottom from any heat exchanger.
I also run with a 5 mm hole in the top half of the stat to assist in permanent water flow having tested 2 and 3 hole versions.
You can't get away from the design of the Edelbrock manifold in having the water temperature sender position immediately next to the cylinder outlet and the stat being further along the flow path resulting in such swings of temperature readings. E.g the sender reads instantaneous temperature and the stat sees an average with a time gap.
I have also been concerned that cylinders 7 & 8 do not have a direct outlet like the others.
I would have thought that the pressure rating of the rad cap would only change the boiling point and not affect the running temp lower down. I would need to speak to a process engineer on that aspect.
I have also considered the under bonnet temperatures in a fiberglass car and the general air flow away from the rad. I am currently investigating a fan for the offside wing vent. I would hasten to add that has only come to the forefront after being stuck in stationary traffic for over 30 mins a on a rather hot summers day and not having the courage to switch off.
Just remember that its better to run the engine nearer to 90 C than 80 C.
Peter C

Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:06 pm

I will let you know when I test drive with heater valve open. Last test drive, heater closed, when I think all air was bled out, it behaved itself whereas prior it would have shot up in temperature which I put down to air (steam at that point).

Basically the article said the heater return needs to be moved and bleed valves used. He clearly did a lot of tests.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 am

Yes it always helps to have a bleed point at any potential high point. E.g the heater hose circuit.
Peter C

Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Difficult with spitfire heater