Edelbrock Performer erratic water temperature

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Edelbrock Performer erratic water temperature

Post by peterc »

Clive.
Despite the close proximity of temp sender and water outlet from the stat they are not in the same chamber. Water from all cylinders travels to the rear of the manifold before turning 180 and back to the front with the enlarged cavity for the stat.
Stuart
the only reason I would consider blocking up the drilled holes is the potential Venturi effect where it’s possible that water continues round in a loop. Whilst it does keep the temperature away from 100 and so long as you don’t panic about it running at 93 for a while then it does work. Ideally as advised you need to spoil or enlarge the end of the hole so there is no flow directly across the end of a small hole. To be honest as it works reasonably well I intend to just leave it alone.
In the CRC forum I think they recommended a larger hole but 'A' I didn’t gave a long series drill any bigger than the 5mm and 'B' I was worried about how close I would be to breaking through into the airways.

One thing I noted from your photo Stu was that the water outlet from the stat appears to go downwards or at least stay level. That won't be helping you to get all the air out of the system. I bought a stat outlet from Real Steel that goes up at an angle- part No AZ 555
Most Cobra set ups seem to need a lot of bleeding to get the air out from the system. I have added a bleed nipple to the top heater hose to ensure no air is left in that circuit.
Hope that helps.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Hi all No the performer manifold only has the front take off for water temperature all the others are vacuum take offs. I think I got all my air out by lifting front of ca,r filling MG V8 radiator through plastic cap (see pic) leave expansion tank cap off then running then filling radiator again. But weather been so poor only managed a short test drive but it runs about 80c now.
IMG_20191025_133922065.jpg
IMG_20191025_133942950.jpg
IMG_20191025_134007066.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Peter
I had the thermostat modified so hose it definitely points upwards and the header tank is now definitely the highest point in the system. Still unclear which is the best an expansion/overflow tank or closed recovery system
thanks Stuart
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I don’t see that it makes any difference providing you check that if the pressure cap is fitted to the header tank then it has the two piece disc which allows the water in the overflow tank to be sucked back in.
The other point to remember with the Edlebrock manifold is that if you drive slowly in a higher gear e.g in a downpour and partially flooded roads then you will see the temperature rise unless you change down a gear and keep the engine revs up a bit.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Test drove it today, was going nicely, warmed up to 82 thermostat opened drove all the way to Sainsbury at 75 then pulled in and a trail of water behind...gauge shot up and dumped more water out. After shopping drove home fine (4 miles) then it dumped a little more out. Cooled down expansion tank 1/3 full. Started up idled up to 82 when down to 75.

Maybe over filled ?
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

You should never completely fill an "expansion tank" the clue is in the name.
If you fill it there is no expansion room and it will dump until it's happy.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Tony, on further viewing of your photos it looks like the top hose goes rather high up which would cause a trapped air location.
Also it’s higher than your expansion tank which I would have expected to be the high point of the whole system.
As explained in previous postings I had to arrange for the water to be higher up to avoid air being trapped in the heater.
The Hawk header tank is mounted as the highest point in the system but used to dump excess water unless you kept 1.25” air gap at the top. As Ken has just advised it is an expansion tank and therefore needs the spare space for the water to expand into.
Having arranged to brim the header tank I then needed the separate expansion tank which was located lower down which is only 1/3 rd filled.
Hope that helps.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

Harrison tank.jpg
Well...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Excellent Migge, the real deal and no doubt reflected in its price.
It still needs mounting so that it is the highest point of the system.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Tony,
It posses the question what have you changed as you have driven the car numerous times over the years.
Peter C