Edelbrock Performer erratic water temperature

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Edelbrock Performer erratic water temperature

Post by Homewood »

Just put a thermostat in as it runs too cold in winter.
Same expansion tank as mine above. Will have a drive later maybe it'll work as a birthday present today !
Migge

Post by Migge »

I just wanted to show that it has filled up only 1/2 way. Of course mine is at the highest point mounted :-)
Special customized BRA289
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Looking at the photographs, it doesn't make sense to me. Is this the same set-up as other Rover engined 289s?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

It's what I found on internet but it could be wrong ?
Migge

Post by Migge »

It seems that you have a heater mounted. As far as I know goes one hose from the waterpump into the heater and one hose from the waterpump is connected to the manifold front and from the manifold back to the heater. But that depends on the manifold. Some use a tube under the manifold.

What I can see on your pics is that you have from the waterpump hose to the heater an additional connecting to the Harrison tank, bottom tube. The bottom tube of the Harrison or any other expansion tank should be connected to the bottom hose of the radiator.

I have no heater and my waterpump tubes are blanked.
Special customized BRA289
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Migge Been doing some reading and yes it would appear the bottom hose of the Harrison header tank should go to the bottom hose of the radiator just before the water pump. So first thing to do is buy a tee piece for the bottom hose and plumb correctly.

But do I need an expansion tank as well ? Found a good explanation from car builder solutions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPKaFcOwemI
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Just had another look and I can't see why moving the bottom hose coming from Harrison header tank to 6 inches before pump housing will make any difference ? I understand from car builder solutions it must be as close to the water pump as possible which is where the current return is it uses the same return as the heater just before the pump.
Also why did I never get any issues with the thermostat removed apart from running very cold.
Surely it must be an air lock ?
Or do I need to put an expansion tank off the neck of the header tank (overflow pipe) ?
Very weird ???
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

IMG_20191101_120524236.jpg
IMG_20191101_120542564.jpg
IMG_20191101_120556239.jpg
These pics may show the plumbing more clearly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I don't know the coolant capacity of the Rover engine/radiator, but in the Ford it is about 12 pints. The expansion of water from room temperature to boiling point is about 4% so will require at least 1/2 pint free space to take up the expansion. If you have no thermostat causing the coolant to only reach about 80 degrees, the expansion will be a lot less and therefore less pressure in the system which will lead to less overflow.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Think I fixed it just filled radiator again, took off top hose and filled shoved back on, turned heater valve off and temperature behaved itself. Will test drive tomorrow with heater valve on.

Think I need find some bleed valves to pity in