Winter projects

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Winter projects

Post by clive »

I have found over the years, that cruising in fifth gear on my 302/T5 with Holly Street Avenger is not economical unless over 70 mph. Better to keep the revs up a bit in fourth gear.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Re: Winter projects

Post by Roger King »

That will depend on a number of parameters, not least ignition timing as well as carburation. The ideal cruising revs will be with the carb running on the main jets, not the intermediate circuits (same for all four barrels - indeed all carbs, I suppose), and with all the distributor mechanical advance 'in'. For the Mustang's bigger motor that is now set to be the case at around 2500rpm, so it is geared appropriately for that to be 85 in 5th.
This is where a good and knowledgeable rolling road man is worth every penny. I'd strongly recommend John Sleath in Doncaster for this, American V8s being his speciality. He does a lot of aftermarket injection stuff if that is really what you want, but I always worry about future parts availability and support for small-scale manufacturers, outsourcing their manufacturing and changing design etc.