IRS Handbrake!!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

IRS Handbrake!!

Post by andyg »

Hi All,
I am having problems with adjusting my handbrake. Inboard brake IRS axle. Can’t get enough adjustment on cable, so assuming there is an issue with the self adjuster on the handbrake calliper - or the pads have fallen apart!
Anyone taken the handbrake callipers off with the axle in situ? Looks a nightmare to get at but hoping not to drop the axle.
Hints and tips appreciated...

Andy
StuBaker

Re: IRS Handbrake!!

Post by StuBaker »

Hi Andy,
I had a similar problem with mine. I'd overhauled the calipers and made sure the auto adjust worked so I was confident the calipers were good.
I had the inner cable shortened to get plenty of adjustment on the handbrake lever. It has to be operated a few times to ratchet the pads into place if you didn't already do that on the bench.
I still have too much movement on the handbrake lever so it's adjusted 'only just off'. It was binding a bit at first but everything's good now. I've only done 11 miles to the MoT station and back. I fitted the clevis to the original handbrake levers on the calipers. When the IRS next (if ever) comes off I'll re position the clevis's closer to the calipers. I'ts got plenty of stopping power though.
Hope that helps a bit,
Stu
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: IRS Handbrake!!

Post by andyg »

Thanks Stu
The axle is on the car - has been for about 11 years!. Worked fine until the last couple of years. Think the self adjusters have stopped working so will attempt to turn the adjusting screw manually. Otherwise think it’s an axle out job as can’t undo the handbrake Calipers in situ 😩
Andy