Suspension setup

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Suspension setup

Post by simonjrwinter »

Can anybody recommend a suspension setup service in the SE now my IRS is installed?
To be honest, I think I’ll probably go to Cheng, but it would be good to have other recommendations.
Thanks
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Suspension setup

Post by peterc »

I did it myself.
I put an article in the magazine about how to set up strings and measure toe in for both front and rear.
I also have access to a friends camber gauge which using Gerry’s tubular front suspension makes camber adjustment fairly straight forward. I haven’t checked castor but assumed Gerry’s design had taken care of that as if wouldn't be easily changed.
You have built the car so why not make the adjustments.
Problem at present is of course no unnecessary travel.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

What was on the cover of the magazine Pete?
Cheers Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Try Summer 2017 with sad farewell to Sir John Whitmore on the cover. I’m losing track of time as I thought it was year before last e.g. 2018.
Another article for the corner weights is Autumn 2018 with cars parked outside the Highgate House hotel on the cover.
In hindsight to adjust the rear toe in I should have shimmed the rear wishbones to diff assembly rather than the entire rear axle assembly. At the time I didn’t believe I would get sufficient movement in the bolting to Gerry’s bottom plate. Likewise the camber should be done on the drive shaft connection. In my case the rear camber was OK as supplied by Wards.
Incidentally when calculating anything to do with this remember that a 15” wheel is not 15” at the rim where you perform your measurements from. E.g when calculating the camber.
I have since cut a piece of square tube Ali to fit correctly onto the wheel rim to then position the Dunlop camber gauge. Result is I now discover I have 1.0 degree negative at the front not 0.8 but happy with that knowing how it drives.
Any queries you know where I am.
Peter C