Axle stands

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Axle stands

Post by stu60 »

Hi all,

Where is the best place for placing 4 axle stands on the hawk chassis? I've tried various parts of the chassis but always think there must be an optimal location.
I think I recall the service advice saying on the crossmembers but that seems a bit narrow to place 2 axle stands on.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks Stuart
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Axle stands

Post by clive »

Fortunately I have a pit so don't need to use axle stands to get under the car, but during the build I didn't have such luxury and placed the axle stands here...

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Clive
thanks again.

the picture is very helpful but do you think the outriggers rather than main chassis tubes are ok to jack on once car is built with full weight of engine , body, fuel etc.? I think the main tubes woul be better but i worry about locating on a round tube vs the strength of the flat section outriggers....I'm no engineer so maybe a dumb question!

regards Stuart
Migge

Post by Migge »

I have no other access as to the outrigger front (directly at the corner) and main chassis tubes at the rear. It was countless times on the lifting ramp with no problem at all. My lifting ramp has two long arms (for the rear) and two short arms ( for the front).
Special customized BRA289
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Having just been under the car for a wee peek, I would place the rear stand on the short diagonal box section just in front of the rear wheel as mine are in my picture, and the front ones on the tubular main chassis members just before it rises up.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Just my tupp'orth - when my car was on axle stands I set the door catches. When it went on it's wheels the doors wouldn't close properly. When it came back from the paint shop on wheels with the doors set up again, I took off the wheels and jacked up on to axle stands and the doors once again didn't close properly.
I would put them as close to the suspension points as possible if you want to do anything with the doors.

Stu
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Stu
Wow that's a bit worrying as suggests the chassis frame flexes, can you resume where you put axle stands when this happened?
Thanks Stuart
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Stuart,
There will always be some minor chassis flexing, it’s a feature of pretty much all cars. You should see it on some of the cars I’ve owned!
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Simon
Thanks. Sorry I shouldn't have used word flexing as can understand some flexing as load is taken off or put on certain points on chassis and gaps in body temporarily changing but the doors not fitting and having to be Re-aligned suggests permanent distortion doesn't it?
Regards Stuart
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Stuart,
I don’t think that’s the gist of the above post.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.