Door rubbers / seal options

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
SiJackson

Door rubbers / seal options

Post by SiJackson »

Afternoon folks.

I’m just wondering when you chaps are using for door, bonnet and boot seals on your Hawks? Also with a split boot I need something effective twixt the two halves. Also are you using self adhesive or glueing them on? I’m hoping Roger can help with options for originality too.

It tends not to be something you see many photos of either.

Thanks
Si
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Door rubbers / seal options

Post by peterc »

I have used self adhesive sponge nominally 5 x 10 but look at an earlier posting on April 2nd by Simon where a corrugated option was suggested.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I used this
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/ ... ed-section
For the bonnet and boot seals. However I’d also be interested to know what people are using for doors and where...

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I used the 5 X 10 sponge throughout.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I can only comment on what a leafspring car for the street would have had when supplied - this would have been exactly what Gerry supplies, rectangular cross-section adhesive foam strip (best to use closed-cell neoprene - I doubt that is what was supplied in the early sixties, but it looks the same). No ridges or channel sections. The strip was fixed around the bonnet aperture, finishing at each hinge, leaving the front edge unsealed. Similarly the bootlid aperture had a strip that left a 12" or so gap at the base of the opening. The doors had the same strip stuck around the doors, not the body.
For the truly authentic look, it should shrink slightly over time and pull away a bit at the corners. See COB6029 etc.
IMG_8164.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Thank you gents. Its taken a little finding but I've ordered a few rolls. I'll let you know how I get on.

Roger, I guess fitting to the door where there isn't much room is going to be a challenge. The lip is only 3-5 mm in places on a hawk door. Of course the alloy doors had a larger flange and that would be an easier prospect. I'm guessing for originality you found a solution?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The seals on my car, which is the car in the photos above, are all as original - but this car is aluminium, including the doors. However I did build a Hawk 15-16 years ago and fitted Gerry's seal material in the same position as the originals with no problem, so not sure why yours might be different. That said, all the info above applies only to the dealer leafspring cars - if you have an FIA body or anything else, I'm afraid I have no idea. I doubt racing cars would have had any seals on these panels but I don't know.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

The know you’ve ordered now, but my car has a ‘D’ section self adhesive, 10-12mm wide. Lovely and soft, so it compresses nicely over varying gaps.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Roger King wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:57 pm The seals on my car, which is the car in the photos above, are all as original - but this car is aluminium, including the doors. However I did build a Hawk 15-16 years ago and fitted Gerry's seal material in the same position as the originals with no problem, so not sure why yours might be different. That said, all the info above applies only to the dealer leafspring cars - if you have an FIA body or anything else, I'm afraid I have no idea. I doubt racing cars would have had any seals on these panels but I don't know.

Thats probably the issue Roger. At the rearmost section on the cut back doors on my FIA the flange is only 3mm wide in places. I'll give it a go when it arrives. Thanks for you input again
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I'll bet the 'FIA' body style never bothered with any sealing strips, so I'd probably leave them off. If you want a replica of a racing car, you have to make sacrifices!