help! starter motor

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: help! starter motor

Post by stu60 »

hi Peter
because i have a garage full of "just in case" and i am hoping the new starter will outlast me!
Stuart
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Hi Stu. I’m guessing you didn’t see my review of Powerlite starters, and the fact that we have a club discount, in the latest issue of the Club Magazine? 😱
I had to remove my stock starter 2 years running, hence purchasing the RAC318 (which is the same part number as the Racemettle starter, so assuming same dimensions, Clive).
I don’t know whether the Powerlite will come out with the header in place, but I’m hoping to not have to remove this one any time soon, as to take out the standard unit required removal of:
  • Alternator,
  • Alternator bracket,
  • Steering column,
  • Exhaust pipe,
  • Manifold.
  • The bl***y Starter
🥵
I hope everything goes together smoothly for you, and that we never have to take the buggers out again!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Not sure if you chaps already have them, but there are heat reflective “blankets” available for starters when help prevent it being cooked. I’ve had one on the RV8 in my TR6 for about ten years now. Can’t guarantee how effective it is of course but I guess every little helps.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Nick
you are right i hadn't got round to reading that article and it will teach me to look at contents list. in any case i did go on the powerlite website where they are £259 and they were out of stock of 318 model (though now back in) in meantime as i was in rush i bought mine for £228.95 from Andy's Auto Parts so not sure what club discount would have been.

Simon, i was going to wrap the 90 degree bend in exhaust heat tape but will investigate the blanket idea as not a fan of wrapping due to moisture trap.

thanks again
Stuart
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I did both heat wrap on the starter and the exhaust manifold plus bottom bend but it still played up when hot.
Having rerouted the exhaust across to the cill it’s be OK since.
Peter C
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

new starter motor in; it's possible to do leaving manifold in place (having removed bottom of exhaust) but you need flexible/bendy drive bars & sockets to get the top bolt in. Sure everyone else knows about them but i had never used them before, they allow a bit of movement whilst still maintaining drive; I borrowed courtesy of my local garage which was very good of them as saved a lot of time and hassle.