Sidescreens and hood fitting

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Sidescreens and hood fitting

Post by simonjrwinter »

Went to see Gerry today and came home with all my hood and sidescreen gubbins.
I probably won’t start the fitting process for a few weeks (need to fit the sidescreens and get them covered first) and when I do, I think the Hawk manual covers the fitting quite comprehensively, but as so many of you have done it, I was wondering if you would have any tips to make fitting easier or conversely any pitfalls to avoid? And advice appreciated, especially where to get sidescreens covered.
Thanks in advance.

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Sidescreens and hood fitting

Post by StewbieC »

The manual was pretty good in describing the process for Sidescreen fitting. I also wrote it up in my build write up. I cut a piece of Perspex the same width as the Sidescreen and used that as the template to mark the holes in the door tops.
I got my screens trimmed by Monsoon who were ex Polyfacto but I understand the guy who did mine, 10 years ago, has since retired.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Just placed on, trying to pluck up the courage to start fitting!
Beautifully made top though.
01C757A8-613D-490D-B511-D6D47181DA0B.jpeg
2589A93B-4B93-4E82-9BEC-2E83EB769761.jpeg
B2D3F9AD-8FEB-48E1-8EA1-185F34111DDD.jpeg
08D0A671-FC74-4D59-BBC4-6F72F7C90DBC.jpeg
7A0245BF-49B7-42EB-8B5D-3B7AC2B4A33B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I got my side screens covered and hood fitted by Polyfacto. I guess having already got the hood made and studs fitted it should be easily enough to mark back onto the hood.
As Stuart says just check the manual or his write up.
You will benefit by having some small brackets on the screen pillars to hold the side screens out to stop them flapping. I wrote an article in the mag for that.
Ref your rear screen just be careful not to crease it. I protect mine with an old clean towel when it’s folded for storage and use a large cardboard tube when folding it half to get it in the boot.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Looks great Simon.
Are those sidescreens in ali?
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

No, just Gerry’s standard items but primered rather than powder coated.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Original cars left the factory with these:

Buffer2.jpg

Sidescreens were covered in the same leathercloth that the hood was made of:

Cobra 650.jpg

...and this is where they live pretty much permanently!

IMG_1540.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks for those photos Roger - can i steal them and put them in the wiki?

In the first pic, the left side of the rubber is what I guess the side screen cushions against - do you know any reason for the odd shape of the right-hand bit? Other than (perhaps) to pull the bung into place in in the hole?

By the way - the two links in your signature are missing a colon, so when you click them they don't work. Hope things are ok with you...

Cheers,

A.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

So they are - thanks for that! Not something I've ever checked...

The screen buffers are an angled piece of steel, chromed - I have a CAD drawing of originals from Dan (the photo is from CSX2337). The buffers were recently the subject of a small run by one of the US rubber component manufacturers to original drawings, now unfortunately sold out, but yes, the pointed end is to pull through and retain the rubber in the bracket. Not too pretty, but small so easy to ignore and, ugly or not, they are correct so they stay. The same company made the last run of the correct rubber buffers for the door shut face just behind the windscreen (and I'll be very surprised and impressed if any Hawk owners have fitted those!). I'm afraid my approach to this car has nothing to do with efficiency, practicality, performance or modification - just originality, for which I apologise as many just don't understand this.

Please feel free to use the images. They are of 7 CSX, which had the hood, sidescreens and tonneau cover made to original Cobra patterns at Simtrim of Spalding. Dear Dan Case gave me a lot of help, so these hood parts etc. are true copies of those on CSX2310 and CSX2337 from new. Perhaps not surprisingly, it cost a lot more to have them make the hood etc. with cheap single seams to copy the original AC design as it was very time-consuming to copy machine production. And you really, really don't want to know what it cost - suffice to say into five figures and I'm not including pennies. I'm hoping Morag doesn't read this forum...

If you need any more trim or hood photos I have plenty, including what I hope is just about the definitive record on dashboard trim, instrumentation and switchgear, carpet detail, glovebox lid detail etc. all taken from original cars and high-end restorers - but only for RHD Leafspring rack and pinion street cars. I do not know the full detail on LHD cars, very little on racing cars and nothing about 427s/MkIII 289s. True authenticity is exponentially hard to attain, and unfortunately with Cobras it is, nowadays, very expensive to replicate parts that were built 'down to a price'. I'm finding the same is true of the XK, as well.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Roger

My last job is the dashboard, any information on 'definitive record on dashboard trim' would be appreciated. Your sidescreen buffer picture is useful, maybe I can make something similiar with conical rubber glued on. Do you know if the glass extends to where they are screwed on ? Or do I use very short screws ?

Regards
Tony