Wheels and Brakes Assistance Please.

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
289FIA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Wheels and Brakes Assistance Please.

Post by 289FIA »

Hu Guys,

Does anyone have pics of the Master/Slave Cylinders, they have used in their build, together with Part Nos? Any people using Servos?

I assume a lot of you are using MG Front Axles (with Gerrys Upgraded Suspension) and MG Tube Rear Axles.

Also, what size/specification MWS Wire Wheels and Blockley Tyres, is everyone using on their AC Ace. Anyone have experience of Dayton Wire Wheels?

Thanks in advance.

D
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Wheels and Brakes Assistance Please.

Post by peterc »

Hi D,
I have an FIA model so appreciate there maybe some difference with an Ace.
I just bought Gerry’s brake kit but I have since taken advice and purchased items from BCG who I think may well be his usual supplier.
Master cylinders are by 0.625” for the brakes and 0.7” for the clutch.
There is a number on the brake master cylinder BS2 310360 but don’t know if that is a part No or not.
I have the clutch reservoir screwed directly to the master cylinder with the two reservoirs for the brakes mounted above at the top of the foot box. I think that is how the original Cobra was. You would need to look at photos for the Ace set up.
I have looked at some Ace photos and can't see where the cylinder reservoirs where positioned on an original car bearing in mind the exhaust originally exited in the area.
brake master cylinders.JPG
For the UK at least you need floats in the brake reservoirs with a push to check plunger. The way the wiring loom is set up the pulling on of the handbrake checks the circuit and confirms fluid levels are OK.
Pedals might be Gerry’s own set up but basically is a bias system with an adjustable balance bar which you will need to compensate for differing styles of front and rear brakes.
peddle box.JPG
I don’t know of anyone running a servo but that doesn’t mean there aren't some members with it. As the car will only weigh 1000-1100 kgs you shouldn't need it.
I have Gerry’s tubular front suspension but a Jag rear. Again its originality versus practicality. Many members prefer the solid axle and of course it can be part of the original MGB donor.
I use 298mm vented front discs with Willwood 4 pot callipers. The biggest disc you can fit inside an alloy wheel so should easily be OK with a wire version. Having four pot callipers tends to bias the braking to the front which is what you need.

My spare is a painted wire wheel. Best wait to hear from those guys using wires to get an honest opinion on best make.
Hope that helps a bit.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frats289

Post by frats289 »

On my 'street' 289 I have a single pipe system (pre SVA) using a Girling 3/4" m/cyl. with remote resevoir, Triumph 2000 calipers, BV8 discs on the front with Green Stuff pads, 10" outboard discs on the rear with Ford Sierra calipers again with Green Stuff pads, a remote genuine AP Lockheed servo and a Tilton prop valve.

I'm pleased to say that all works well although it has taken some while and many miles to get it spot on. Nice feel, no fade and decent pedal pressure - not too light.

Have fun experimenting as it's unlikely you will get it just right first time!!

Frank
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I bought the brake kit off Gerry, Dual master cylinders with Tilton balance bar pedal box, IVA compliant reservoirs with tell tales.
Matches with the wiring harness from Gerry, fitted once, never had a problem.
4 Pot Princess calipers with Ferodo 2500DS pads Vented disks for Gerrys front end. Stops on a 6 pence, never had brake fade clutch pedal is a little heavier than my Disco Sport but fine.
Most people on here will buy their wheels from Gerry / MWS.
https://www.mwsint.com/custom/FitmentGu ... C&CarYear=

You can buy and fit what ever you want, it is your car!! It does need to pass IVA and for that you will need to read the IVA Manual within an inch of its life https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ategory-m1

4 1/2" x 16" Ace wheels have the issue that the spinner (which doesn't comply) or Hex nut sits proud of the wheel arches, read the manual and you will see. Other wheels are different and have a different offset so are not as bad, but are not right for the car.

The moral of the story is buy cheap run the risk of buying twice.
Go off piste and you will need to buy extra insurance as it is riskier. :?