EFI on a 302

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

EFI on a 302

Post by simonjrwinter »

Has anyone on the forum and experience of the Holley/Edelbrock/Fitech EFI herb replacement type kits on the market?
Performance, economy, ease of starting and ease of setup seem to be the plus points.
Anybody fitted one?

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: EFI on a 302

Post by KevinW »

I see you have asked Neville about his unit over at 'the other place'.

Neville was telling me the other week that the Fitech unit he's fitted has transformed his RV8 and it 'goes like stink'.
He told me that at 75 he's feeling a bit too old to floor it with the power its now got. I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you all about it.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Sounds good...
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Would anyone be able to put up more info on this ?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I've only seen an EFI on a Rover powered 289. Bill Telford's car was fitted with it, but I don't think he fitted it himself. I have a Holly carb on mine and haven't experienced any problems with mine. Economy is relative to your right foot and I have learnt to keep in a lower gear when travelling below motorway speeds.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

If I was buying an engine again, I'd go for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0SBAwn8dC8
(its a stupid name, but it looks good)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The only thing that stops me fitting a Sniper system to my Hawk is having to grind the lobe out of the middle of the two segments in the inlet manifold. I know a manifold is only £250. If I had more than 5 mm hood clearance I'd fit a spacer.
The Sniper system looks like a traditional Carb and the negative feedback is pretty insignificant compared to the positive feedback.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I too might struggle with clearance in any of the candidates were higher than a standard Holley.

Simon
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Of course a fuel injection system which accurately meters the fuel into the engine at the correct time must be more economical than just tipping it in like a carburettor. That’s why when exhaust emissions started to have an impact every manufacturer added FI.
What put me off was having to conjure up some engine management system. At present the most electronic thing I have is merely an amplifier to power the distributor sensor.
I believe you also need to run a return line to the tank from the electronic carb for un used fuel.
On an FIA it would look really good with a quad set up with the electronic version of the Weber IDF’s.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

I think you are right Peter.
With the electronics brain hidden in the injector unit, its a lot simpler to install than earlier designs.
You also need to install an oxygen meter in the exhaust system. For underslungs this is quite straight froward involving just drilling a hole and clamping in position, but a bit more of a pain (disassembly and welding needed) if running sidepipes.
There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to install these systems.
The quad IDF EFI lookalikes are a fair but more expensive than the standard single carb replacements though.