Correct style washer bottles

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Correct style washer bottles

Post by peterc »

My current windscreen washer bottle has cracked around it’s mounting and is leaking so raises the suggestion should I replace it with a correct looking item. If I said should it be an oval Lucas 5SJ is this the correct style and if so does anyone have the dimensions to enable me to check if I can fit it in the same position as the old unit bearing in mind Gerry’s scuttle is a fair bit lower than an original..
All the units advertised on the web fail to give any sizes.
Comments please.
Peter C
Roger King

Re: Correct style washer bottles

Post by Roger King »

Nope - correct for a UK market RHD COB car would be a glass 2SJ bottle, mounted on the left inner wing adjacent to the fuel pump.
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Roger,
I had a feeling it might that style as my father had one in his Austin Westminster.
Not sure I like the glass aspect. At least it’s not dangerous like the fuel filter bowl.
Maybe I’ll look to see what the nearest shape available is but in plastic.
Thanks again.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Mine’s been in place for 5 years with no problems. However my engine sits quite a bit lower than a Hawk’s does which makes a difference to the proximity of the bottle to the exhaust.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:41 pm Not sure I like the glass aspect. At least it’s not dangerous like the fuel filter bowl.
Fuel filter bowl is metal?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Metal definitely, I wouldn’t contemplate a glass one.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Should be threaded ‘Fomoco’ steel canister screwed into base of fuel pump.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I'm a bit late to this thread - I got sold something pretty 'vintage' in a cardboard MOD box that had been rotting in one of Gerry's sheds for many years. He told me was the right thing to fit, so I fitted it. Not got any pics to hand right now, but it definitely isn't a 2SJ.

It is a manually-pumped Trico dashboard button, and a plastic bottle and cage in the engine bay. It was some MOD surplus that he had which (he told me) was correct. I'd wanted a glass bottle but changed my mind after this. I still think the glass bottle looks better - Rinsey Mills doesn't seem to mention windscreen washing, but has one photo that looks like a 2SJ on the bulkhead. I'm not too fussed if it should be on the inner wing or not - it would just look better than the plastic thing I have.

Maybe I'll take the plunge and get one...

By the way Roger - do you know where more proper gearlever trim rings can be acquired? I think they should have FoMoCo on them, and be chromed pressed steel rather than the rather sharp-edged thing I got.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Does it look like this ........
First pic just about shows the Trico plunger switch on the arrangement I had for IVA.

These are as rare as hen's teeth, and correct for 427R cars, AFAIK never fitted to 289 cars.

427 F/C and 427 S/C cars had no washer bottle, so I muddied the mark and spend a very long time getting hold of one.
They are now worth an awfl lot mper than the tuppence happ'ny of plastic used to make them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.