Help please

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
CobStang

Help please

Post by CobStang »

I would like to know the height of the bonnet scoop on a Hawk FIA please.

Would someone be able to measure it at the opening, I need measurement top of bonnet to top of scoop in front of the scoop.

Many thanks.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Help please

Post by peterc »

Hi, I can advise the dimensions of mine but since my build Gerry has increased the size to look more authentic. The original FIA had a welded in bulge not the riveted on design that was created on my bonnet.
Best of luck.
Peter C
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Thanks Peter, a measurement would be good please.
I should have said that I was looking for a measurement from a GRP FIA bonnet. I am assuming that the scoop would be laid up as one with the bonnet ? and not an after fitment ?
My elderly BRA bonnet is really beyond repair and having spoken to Gerry he thought a Hawk bonnet might fit. Thanks to a very generous friend I have now tried his Hawk bonnet on my car, and it does indeed fit, however I need a scoop to clear my carb and the Hawk scoop looked a little shallower than my BRA scoop, so I just wanted to check.
I had better check back with Gerry that he does in fact make a GRP bonnet with a scoop in case I have my wires crossed and they are all alloy.
FIAJack

Post by FIAJack »

My FIA (vintage year 2000) has a GRP bonnet and scoop. 27mm approx from bonnet to top of scoop.
Hope that helps.

Cheers
Jack
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Many thanks Jack, is your car a Hawk ?
FIAJack

Post by FIAJack »

Yes indeed. Similar bonnet to the 289 FIA shown on Gerry's website; http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/hawk289/comp/hawkfia.html

Cheers,
Jack
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

This is my Hawk bonnet fitted with a Dax supplied scoop.
It's approx. 40mm high, it's actually glued on but will have fake rivets later.
You can see why I need a scoop.

Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, my scoop is circa 1998 and the same as Jack’s at 27 overall height. Width is 295 inside. It’s moulded into the bonnet with the faux flange where I have added the rivets.
It would look better if it were 20% -25% higher.
D5C1A219-77CE-4E7F-91DA-0ECB6E659F1E.jpeg
A2081BDC-5079-42DA-898E-8B08ACAF601B.jpeg

To be authentic for an FIA it needs to appear all part of the bonnet not riveted on. It was the 427SC that had them riveted on.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Right chaps many thanks.
I removed my carb to try the hawk ( unscooped ) bonnet, but on the idea of its owner I laid the carb on the manifold and we gently balanced the bonnet on top of it, the bonnet was raised @20mm all round, so if the scoop is 27mm high that gives me 7mm clearance over the primary air horn. All a bit tight!. The current BRA scoop is 45mm from top of bonnet to top of scoop.

I could mill the airhorn down on the Holley, that is the only way a Hawk bonnet is going to work.

I would not have known this without all your help, much appreciated.
Mark
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Kev, I think you need to speak to Nige and get a taller scoop made. It doesn’t have to be the Modsports design.
There’s not much space for the bell mouths. Do you have some mesh inlets to add to them?
Peter C