Hard top lining

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
frats289

Hard top lining

Post by frats289 »

Does anyone know how the inside face of the hard tops of original cars (street cars not racers) were finished off.
In my ignorance when I lined mine all those years ago I followed the style and method used on my Daimler SP250, that being a cream aertex style perforated cloth backed plastic glued to a foam sheet glued to the GRP. The fiddley bits comprised the perforated sheet glued to cardboard/hardboard panels glued to the GRP.
It's all looking a bit tatty now with some of the lining de-bonding from the foam. Time methinks to start again.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Frank Allen
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hard top lining

Post by nikbj68 »

Were the original tops actually lined at all?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

There is a picture of an original white grp bubbletop-style hardtop on 240 DPE, which I think is a Bristol-powered Ace on p.59 of AC Heritage by Taylor & Burn. Its difficult to see inner detail, but I'd hazard a guess thats its just plain GRP.

I have just started adapting a bubbletop for the Crendon. Assuming the GRP surgery goes OK then my plan for the interior involves making an inner skin from gelcoating the top and a single layer of medium strand grp, which will keep it flexible for trimming pior to fixing inside the outer skin. Alternatively there is a place in Bicester that does 'flocking' i think its rather like Action man realistic hair in the 70s. Choice of colours and I think it costs a few hundred quid for a hard top.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

The boot in Aces & Greyhounds was flocked, so that would be nice and ‘period’, but maybe a layer of sound deadening & a cloth lining (alcantara-like even) would be pleasant?
Have you seen Stuart’s?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
frats289

Post by frats289 »

No, I have not seen Stuart's lining, what does it comprise?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Smoothed out and painted matt black
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by frats289 »

Thanks Stuart.

Ordered all the materials to reline it again in the same style as before - I shall take my time this time and do a proper job.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Frank