Engine breathing

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
frats289

Engine breathing

Post by frats289 »

Back in the day, after having bought my 289 engine and having stripped it down, I was delighted to find standard pistons and standard big ends and mains. I had the bores checked and subsequently honed and rebuilt it using stepped rings and new shells.
With the original rocker covers - filler n/s only - I used a vented chrome Ford filler which used to allow an oil mist to condense on the rocker cover and allow oil to drip onto the exhaust - smelly!
Oil catch tank I thought. Refusing to pay for a fancy aluminium thing I made one out of an upside down resin tin with inlet going to the bottom of the tank and outlet at the top - connected a new non vented oil filler to the inlet and piped the outlet to the air filter. All OK so far.
I then bought a pair of fancy chrome rocker covers with filler a/b in the n/s and orifice in the o/s for a PSV valve. Fitted the PSV valve which I piped to the inlet manifold which all seemed to work OK other than the oil which I can't seem to stop weeping from around the gromet and finding its way onto the exhaust manifold - smelly!
Having now done a bit of reading I see that venting the engine back into the combustion chambers is not such a good idea as it can lead to pre-ignition.
After 20 plus years of the occasional nasty burnt oil smell and no pinking (CR 9.58:1) and before I commit to vast expenditure I wondered if any one had any bright ideas...

Frank Allen
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Engine breathing

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Frank,
I run the same setup. PCV valve connected to the carb on one rocker cover and the other has a pipe connected to the air cleaner. Never had a problem with pinking. As far as I'm aware that is a pretty standard set up.
In Birmingham we have a saying "If it ain't Bost don't fix it"!