Power Distribution Module / Unit

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Power Distribution Module / Unit

Post by Steve M »

Hello All - new to the register having just arranged my place on the Hawk kit waiting list - so, expect a whole bunch of daft questions...

An example of which follows!

Are there any experiences in a build with a modern Power Distribution Unit as a replacement for the typical fuse / relay / solenoid installations.

I'm obviously a fair way off starting build, but planning my approach to some of the more involved elements (e.g. wiring) to see if there are more modern / reliable solutions to some of the typical classic car issues - this being one of them.

Advantages of reduced wiring complexity, packaging (as there's no need for fuse and relay installation) and software defined input/output from switch / sensor to device is pretty attractive, but just wondered if there was any real-world experience?

I'll more than likely go with this for the above reasons (i'm looking at the RacePak Street Smartwire product from Holley), so will keep you up to speed on how I get on.

Cheers - Steve
Ferngar

Re: Power Distribution Module / Unit

Post by Ferngar »

Wow. I just looked at this unit on-line, couldn't believe the cost!
We don't run a lot of electrics on our cars (heated rear screens, heated front screens, air con, power steering, ABS, traction control etc. etc.
so does it really require such an expensive and no doubt sealed unit that when/if it goes wrong is destined for one place----the bin!
A fusebox and a handful of relays should not be troublesome if wired and fitted correctly.
Just my opinion, what do other's think?
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Steve M »

Yep - agreed - not cheap, but does come with everything required for the full wiring of a car, other than switches. So, there's a little bit of "man maths", but you're right, never going to be cheaper than a traditional set-up.
The set and forget nature of it still remains attractive however, along with the ability to easily manage devices over time - e.g. - want an additional radiator fan, just install the fan, wire it as an output and define the switch config in the software.
Also can be used as a security device as a set of switch and buttons pushes can be used to activate circuits, so no need for an immobiliser..
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Such a simple car to wire and “issues” usually limited to fuses/relays or the way the wires are connected to lights/switches etc (and that won’t change) just seems unnecessary expense. Why reinvent the wheel/mousetrap?
JMHO
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

I have modern vehicles with all this electronic s**t on board, already I am having to take them to workshops to have them plugged in for this and that.
I cherish getting in one of my classics to get away from all this unnecessary aggravation. It has reached such a point where I am considering getting rid of my modern daily drive and going back to something from a simpler era.
As said above, be careful what you wish for.
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Steve,
I'm afraid I have to agree with all the other replies.
To me not worth the money in a Cobra at least.
A normal reliable Cobra loom can be obtained for around 20% of that price.
Check out Premier Wiring and ECS https://www.electricalcarservices.com/ (he supplies Gerry).
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Steve M »

Thanks all for your views and advice - super helpful - following the patterns of the majority will certainly help when I have more daft questions in the future!

Thanks again
Steve
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Steve, the advantage of following what everybody else does, is that you’ll have a greater pool of knowledge to choose from when you have more questions!
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The biggest issue with standard loom installations that I am aware of is related to plastic canoe type fuses. In contrast to the original ceramic type ones, plastic ones melt and continuity is broken at the contact points. Other than the odd relay failure the old style looms are pretty robust.
At the end of the day it is your car so do what you want, but going off piste tends to bring other challenges that may cost you a great deal of time and money.
On a side note, most builders take pride and get enjoyment out of replicating period correct features. I'm not against enhancing our projects with modern alternatives but over the life cycle of these cars most owners and builders as they develop their knowledge of these cars go in the other direction.
JMHO