No ignition spark

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

No ignition spark

Post by stu60 »

Hi,
Car running perfectly then died. Fuel pump is running but no spark at plugs.Will be checking coil, distributor etc but I am suspecting the immobiliser as it just died with no warning.

Does anyone know which circuits the Hawk immobiliser with key fob protects? I am guessing not just fuel pump which is running but I can see a number of thin gauge wires running to and from coil. I was thinking if it can't be induction loop behind dashboard as presumably fuel pump wouldn't run if this wasn't working?

Suggestions gratefully received.
stuart
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: No ignition spark

Post by peterc »

As far as I know most immobilisers isolate three circuits.
Ignition.
Starter.
Fuel pump.
If you still have the pump working then I would have thought that it’s not the immobiliser.
Check the simple things first, like is there a loose lead/ spade connector?
I recently had my electric washer stop working and it merely needed the spade terminal to be tightened.
Peter C
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Peter
thanks for your reply. i traced it back to the primary circuit. it was my shiny new (12 months old) Bosch coil that has failed. i only swapped the original because it looked ..."original" and i was renewing everything else after engine rebuild. Luckily i kept the old one and swapped it back in and it fired up immediately.

I have ordered a new Lucas DLB198 coil which i will fit to match all the other new bits under the engine....albeit seems strange to be putting faith in Lucas vs Bosch electronics!
rgds Stuart
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I appreciate that there have been questions over the quality of Lucas products in recent years. Obviously I don't know where each item has been manufactured and how much now comes from China. What I can say is that I have used a Lucas sports coil for over 20 years without issues. I did buy another Lucas coil when I thought I had an issue but discovered it was just a loose terminal on the ignition amplifier.
Glad you found the issue quickly without big costs that often accompany the investigations into these gremlins.
Peter C