Proper Petrol!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
BrianC
T289R Member
T289R Member

Proper Petrol!

Post by BrianC »

Just been down to Esso station and noticed they have recently introduced Synergy Supreme +, which is not only 99 octane, but more importantly for many of our cars, totally ethanol free (unlike Shell and BP's super fuels which are 5%).

Copied from Esso website:

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+

Saves worrying about rubber seals etc.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Proper Petrol!

Post by clive »

BrianC wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:22 pm Just been down to Esso station and noticed they have recently introduced Synergy Supreme +, which is not only 99 octane, but more importantly for many of our cars, totally ethanol free (unlike Shell and BP's super fuels which are 5%).

Copied from Esso website:

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+

Saves worrying about rubber seals etc.
Aye, all we need to do is drive 300 miles to fill up!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
David Large

Post by David Large »

I went through all this research about Esso fuel a few months ago and I use it always in one of my cars. E5 is going up to E10 in September so I may well switch my cars to ethanol free Esso from the Shell I currently use.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The preservation grade is going to be 'superunleaded' 98, which will still be E5, rather than the current 95 E5 which will become 95 E10. The Federation pushed hard for this following the Heritage Fuels Alliance's lobbying for this:

https://www.theheritagealliance.org.uk/ ... -alliance/

So for as long as the current agreement lasts, the preservation grade of fuel will be 98 (or equivalent). Most 'superunleadeds' have up to 5% ethanol, mostly less. Apparently the only ethanol in most manufacturers' super grades is from tank wash left in from the previous load of 95 E5. Ethanol is added immediately before the tanker leaves the distribution centre, and is generally not added to 98, from what I'm told.