Exhaust routing for IRS cars

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Exhaust routing for IRS cars

Post by Dave Woodward »

I'm about to book my car in for a new exhaust system as I've replaced the MGC rear with an IRS.

Would anybody with an IRS who's tail pipes exit to the rear be able to share pictures of their setup so I can have a more informed discussion with the workshop re routing and silencing options. I have an idea of what's needed but just keen to see if there is an optimal solution out there.

Thanks.

Dave.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Exhaust routing for IRS cars

Post by clive »

Hi Dave,

I have Gerry's set-up on mine. If I remember correctly, the system originally only utilised the front box, but Gerry introduced the rear ones to meet the SVA noise restrictions. The only problem I have with this system is the front boxes can hit speed bumps if not careful and need deflectors.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Thanks Clive.

I can see the clearance challenge at the front.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

As experienced by Martin Young at Le Mans in 2010 if you remember!

Cheers, Clive.

Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

I was behind him when that was RIPPED off his car. He had a crossover which he caught on a metal stump going through a gate at Arnage which literally threw the car in the air as it folded beneath them. I particularly liked the post impact ‘modification’ to get them home which halved the length of his overall exhaust! Some excellent work by Sean Bateman (under back of car) as I recall.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Dave, this is my system rerouted up and over the IRS. I reused Gerry's silencers but made up a new route from pieces supplied by the exhaust company who ultimately welded it all up. When I had a rolling road session they suggested that route had cost me 5 bhp with the extra bends.
Copying Dave Pilbeams system with the bottom of the silencer being level with the bottom of the incoming pipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

This was Gerry's original route under the axle. Note how it was low enough to clear the bottom wishbones when suspension is dropped. Basically I ground away the two U bolts over 4 year period hence the re route.
If you want keep the route straight then suggest you position the two pipes close together where they pass under the axle so they can then be higher up. I think Roger King did that option.
They also say that having the two systems connected with a cross over/ balance pipe also helps with exhaust flow and therefore better BHP.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Out of interest Peter, how easy is it to remove?
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Probably no more difficult than most car exhausts that duck and dive along the length of the car. I do have several joints ( three? ) but it would be easiest removing in sequence from the rear. I can get the front bottom bends off ( I had to replace recently) so could work from the front I guess.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Glad to hear that Peter. I was involved in removing a gearbox from a Rover 289 with MG rear axle. It had a custom exhaust made but without any provision for removal. What a nightmare that was!
Cheers, Clive.