Hawk, U/J - chassis interaction!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hawk, U/J - chassis interaction!

Post by peterc »

I fitted my helper springs at the bottom so didn't need the adapter ring as the shocker body keeps it all in alignment or at least I haven't had any issues over many years.
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Thanks Peter.
I'm still wondering if a helper spring is preferable to purchasing a slightly longer main spring?

Post by Roger King »

A helper spring squashes flat in use and only does anything when the car is jacked up, or the suspension is in full droop. A longer road spring will change your ride height.
When I had this issue with my Hawk, I unthreaded the top of the damper from the piston shaft, sawed a little off the shaft and cut the thread a little further down. No, they're not hardened steel. Much neater solution, but obviously as this is a suspension component I completely forbid anyone else from doing this. You have been warned.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I interesting solution Roger. Of course that shortens the potential shocker travel but then you could say it just stops it drooping so far and keeps it closer to the operating position. Didn’t they do a mod like that on Triumph Heralds?
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

We’ll, the 450lb springs haven’t made that much of a difference, seems I’m going to have to get 500lb jobbies…..
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

The 500 lbs springs seem to do the job, ride is a bit firmer but that’s not a bad thing. I’ve also put some thick nylon washers on the piston rod underneath the bump stops. This should limit the travel too. Some fine adjustments of the spring seat height and damper settings will follow in the next week or so.
Simon
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Simon. Are you running with double shocks on either side? 4 springs in total at the rear. I know some cars only run a single shock on each side of the IRS.

Post by simonjrwinter »

Yes,4 shocks
Simon
Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar »

Hi,

I realise this is an oldish thread but there is a very simple and cheap solution to this sort of issue that I thought I would share and was in fact mentioned by another poster early in the thread.

Insertion of bump stop shims.

These can be made so that they can be inserted through the spring coils to allow experimentation aiming for a more permanent spacer once the dimension is established. Or ordering of damper with different stroke.

I have simply cut a series of hole saw circles of suitable diameter from a 25l polythene drum or some such material to fit above the rubber bump stop.
Then enlarge the centre hole to suit your damper rod diameter.
Next cut a keyhole type slot from outer to centre - slightly smaller than the centre hole which will help keep it in place.
Slide the rubber bump stop down the damper rod, insert the shim/s and test.

Once your shim pack is established you can make a suitable permanent spacer although with most dampers the keyhole ones will stay put happily. You usually don’t need much to get the desired effect.

HTH

Andrew
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

That’s exactly what I did with my shockers. I disassembled them (had to use heat) and inserted some hard polythene type washers above the bump stops. Put them back together (not forgetting thread lock!) and job done.
Simon