Post by StewbieC »

What shocks are you running Simon?
Gerry's supplied Gaz?
simonjrwinter

Re: Hawk, U/J - chassis interaction!

Post by simonjrwinter »

Yes, all bought from Hawk.
89937593-FBA2-47CA-81E5-380EB824538D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

clive wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:18 pm What tyre pressures are you running? Have you thought about stiffening the dampers and reducing the tyre pressure? Also, how far does the car settle when there are two in the car? 289s generally ride higher than Dax, GDs etc. If you ask Gerry he will tell you most owners have their cars too low.
Just out of interest,what tyre pressures are you running?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

26 psi front and 28 psi rear, on 205 70 R15s
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Simon, as already advised I have my exhaust running over the axle in that area. Photo shows there has been some contact between exhaust and shaft but way clear of the chassis.
For checking the height - the top of my driveshaft is around 100 mm clear of the chassis.
DSCN1622.JPG
As Migge suggests your tyre appears rather close to the chassis. For ref my tyre clearance is 55mm using 245 section tyres.
DSCN1621.JPG
So it looks like that maybe your axle has been shortened too much. I don't know how much clearance the guys with outboard discs have as they may well have shorter driveshafts.
Peter C

Extra info ref ride heights as a guide.
Chassis to floor 178 at rear and 165 at front ( just in front of scuttle where chassis tube is bent upwards)
Gives you around three fingers of gap between tyre and wheelarch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I spoke to Brian Gazzard at Gaz shocks and have bought some bump stops from them that they usually supply to Dax. They are no deeper than the rubber bump stops on the Hawk supplied dampers, but they are bigger and made of Polyurethane. They were a bit of a faff to fit, but hopefully they might provide a little bit of protection when the shocks are under full compression. I’ve also would the springs up a couple of threads all round.
Simon
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Quite interesting. My Hawk supplied dampers have no bump stops at all
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I couldn't remember seeing any bump stops but checking the photos there are small rubber donuts which is what I would have expected to see on any shocker.
Ironically I had to wind my springs right down to lower the ride height. So much so that the springs would be loose on full suspension droop. To stop the spring potentially coming out of location I fitted some helper springs that stay totally compressed under normal loads but expand when the suspension is unloaded.
I'm sorry Simon I can't see why your car should be different if it has all come from Gerry as have my parts.
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

simonjrwinter wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:45 am Seems I’m not alone then. I seem to think I’ve seen a picture somewhere of an adaptation someone has had done to make a recess in the chassis at that precise point. Can’t find it though.
Simon
I think Peter Adams made some mods to his chassis rail to create some additional space having taken a chunk out of his. May be worth a PM to him.

Dave.

Post by simonjrwinter »

Dave Woodward wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:00 pm
simonjrwinter wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:45 am Seems I’m not alone then. I seem to think I’ve seen a picture somewhere of an adaptation someone has had done to make a recess in the chassis at that precise point. Can’t find it though.
Simon
I think Peter Adams made some mods to his chassis rail to create some additional space having taken a chunk out of his. May be worth a PM to him.

Dave.
I Spoke to Peter earlier, it wasn't him who had the issues.

Simon