Hawk 289 MGB front springs

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
StuBaker

Hawk 289 MGB front springs

Post by StuBaker »

I've struggled with the height of the car for some time. I had to fab inserts for the front for IVA to get the height right for the indicators.
On passing the IVA I took out the spacers but the exhaust grounded a lot. After attending Silverstone Classic it was obvious my front was much lower than everyone else's so it was time to try harder.
I looked through the forum but didn't manage to find a definitive answer although there was a valuable reference to teglerizer.com that offered a slight vein of hope. I haven't managed to fully corroborate all the numbers from the various tables.
You see id bought my springs in 2000 and didn't know what they were and of all the receipts I have that one is missing.
Turns out ( I think) I had Moss Pre '75 cbr springs, (AHH6451 equivalent) blue and yellow mark, 9.875" and 348 lb/inch. That'll be why then.
Duly ordered some BHH1077 from Rimmers, delivered next day by the way, 9.32" and 480 lb/inch. Fitted without the spacers and Bob's yer uncle, 40mm higher. Chassis is level front to back, no more diving into corners. Hopefully less exhaust grounding.
simonjrwinter

Re: Hawk 289 MGB front springs

Post by simonjrwinter »

Result👍
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Well done Stu.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Good work - well done.
Its easy to forget what happened in those early years of a build. I removed my windscreen to fit the tonneau recently to find it was held on with some plain nuts, which I think I always meant to replace with nylocks, but probably had none in stock at the time!