Binding Brakes

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Henryhawk
T289R Member
T289R Member

Binding Brakes

Post by Henryhawk »

My MGB based brakes have always lacked bite but after passing its MOT my local garage said the servo wasn’t working. This was replaced and as the front brakes were now binding they also replaced the callipers. Still binding, they then fiddled with the balance bar, which aggravated the problem. Am I right that the only thing left is to replace the right hand master cylinder? The rear drums seem to be operating normally. Chris
StuBaker

Re: Binding Brakes

Post by StuBaker »

I had problems bleeding mine, something silly and i can't remember exactly how I solved it.
Something to do with getting full stroke on the master cylinder that enables fluid to be drawn back in. When connected to the balance bar it prevents this from happening .
I would try independently first before swapping anything else out. Disconnect the rear master at the clevis on the balance bar and try it then.
It could be the balance bar is holding the brake on slightly.
Hope that helps even if it just eliminates one probable cause.
Martin D-S

Post by Martin D-S »

Henryhawk wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:26 pm My MGB based brakes have always lacked bite but after passing its MOT my local garage said the servo wasn’t working. This was replaced and as the front brakes were now binding they also replaced the callipers. Still binding, they then fiddled with the balance bar, which aggravated the problem. Am I right that the only thing left is to replace the right hand master cylinder? The rear drums seem to be operating normally. Chris
Hi, did the binding only start to occur after the servo was replaced?
Is it a genuine branded AP/Lockheed/Caparo/Liberty/920E servo unit - now made by Shiftec?
Regards, Martin.
Henryhawk
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Henryhawk »

Thanks to you both for your advice and regarding your comment Martin about the servo, yes the binding seemed to start after replacing the servo. I purchased it from Rimmer’s but I don't know the make just their part number GSM125P (for single circuit brakes) as per the old one. Chris
Martin D-S

Post by Martin D-S »

Henryhawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:58 pm Thanks to you both for your advice and regarding your comment Martin about the servo, yes the binding seemed to start after replacing the servo. I purchased it from Rimmer’s but I don't know the make just their part number GSM125P (for single circuit brakes) as per the old one. Chris
Hi Chris, PM sent .
Regards, Martin.
frats289

Post by frats289 »

If there are any words of wisdom on this topic, please share them.

I too have brakes that bind intermittantly, well do not release immediatly - single pipe system, AP Lockheed servo, discs all round and Tilton proportioning valve. It was suggested that the air inlet filter to the servo was blocked so I spoke to the nice man at Power Track Ltd who sold me a rebuild kit for the servo. Servo subsequently rebuilt and problem solved...for a while, back again now.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Frank
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I don't have a servo fitted so can't comment on whether or not it is the cause, however I've never had any binding issues with my Princess 4-pot callipers. Personally, I don't see the need for a brake servo in our cars.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

I would be looking at the master cylinder seals.
Had this issue many moons ago on my V8 MGB.
Would bind up until the brakes were smoking.
Mine was master cylinder seals.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D