reqr leaf springs

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

reqr leaf springs

Post by stu60 »

I have noticed a slightly uneven rear ride height. I have the MGb rear leaf spring set up with lever arms (which have been overhauled). It looks like the drivers side leaf spring has flattened or lost some of its shape. I will replace but probbaly a winter project.

I have heard that some MGB's run lighter composite leaf springs but not sure if they woul be suitable for the hawk?

Does anyone have any recommendations of replacement leafs and reliable supplier?

thanks Stuart
frats289

Re: reqr leaf springs

Post by frats289 »

Stuart

I've got "Parabolic 100lbs" springs fitted to my car with "Spax " adjustable shocks. The springs were from MGOC (Spares) ltd and the shockers from Gerry.
I had to get the springs re-cambered as the ride height was too high and I didn't want to faff with spacers - re-cambering by GME Springs, Sheffield.

I had to use spacers eventually but for the shocks as they would bottom out on full compression over severe bumps.

A "Panhard" rod and anti-tramp bars complete the set up all of which perform well, doesn't bottom out, EVER, even two up and loaded for continental touring and gives very predictable handling.

Happy to provide more detail if required

Frank
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi
i believe that i need competition leaf springs part number AHT20 or possibly CAHT20 rather than standard MGb leaf springs.

i cannot find anyone who has any. Any ideas?

thanks Stuart
frats289

Post by frats289 »

Stuart

Rather than rely on that favoured description of 'competition', what actual rating do you require. As I say mine are rated at 100lbs (whatever that means) and I certainly wouldn't want to go much stiffer for road use - competition however is a different matter...

Frank
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Springs are normally rated at lbs/ inch of deflection. So a 100lbs spring would bend 1”.
100 lbs sound quite a low rate.
Peter C