Runs then Dies

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Americanboss42
Forum member
Forum member

Runs then Dies

Post by Americanboss42 »

Hey all,

I have a 68 with the 289 (not hipo). It ran fabulously after driving it home. When I say fabulously I mean it: it ran smoother than my truck. It was only having slight issues with the old carb so I put on another carb (accelerator was shot on the old one). It was fine for a while but now now I have the following problem. It'll run for about two minutes then cut out. I've tried a few things up to this point:

Checked for spark, new battery, all the electrics look fine. New carb. Bought new plugs and wires to swap out this weekend. Bought a conversion for the points (my buddy's 72 LTD Brougham's points were apparently overheating and casing the exact same issue, he converted it and it fixed it).

I have a fuel pump that I might try to put on it next. Any advice? I don't think its the carb because it ran well with the new one on. Its when my buddy turned the tuning screw 1/4 a rotation that it died. Tuning has done nothing since.It'll run super strong for 2 minutes then cut out. Any help would be really appreciated!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Runs then Dies

Post by clive »

Hi, and welcome. One thing that springs to mind straight away, is the fuel tank venting properly? If not then you will get a vacuum and then lack of fuel. Try running the engine with the fuel cap off and see what happens. Also check filters for blockage and debris in the tank gathering round the outlet.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Americanboss42
Forum member
Forum member

Post by Americanboss42 »

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the welcome! I have tried these things to no avail. Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

The pump diaphragm might have become stretched or perished and not providing sufficient pressure when the demand is high. If the engine is only running for a short while, it might be using the fuel in the float chamber of the carb, but the pump isn't powerful enough to replenish it.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Americanboss42
Forum member
Forum member

Post by Americanboss42 »

Makes a lot of sense actually. I'll try the pump and let you know!