Hardtop for Hawk AC Ace?

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Drinkybeer
T289R Member
T289R Member

Hardtop for Hawk AC Ace?

Post by Drinkybeer »

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about getting a hardtop for my Hawk AC Ace. Does such a thing exist? Please can someone point me in the direction of finding more about this like? Many thanks in advance. Michael.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hardtop for Hawk AC Ace?

Post by clive »

My initial thought would be to contact Gerry H.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Drinkybeer
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Drinkybeer »

Thanks Clive, that's next on my list. Cheers.

Michael
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Morning Michael,
As Clive advises, Gerry will be able to sell you the Hardtop kit, this comprises the moulding, rear screen and metal screen corners. You will need to buy the over centre clips if you don't have them. You will also need a Claytonrite seal for the rear screen. There can be a lead time on tops as they are really popular at the moment.
Hard tops are best installed at the time of build as screen rake is important. Also if the rear haunches have been over worked at paint stage then the rear flange of the mould may need to be reworked to make it fit. It is not too difficult to retro fit a hardtop but it's not a "just bolt on" job. If the screen rake is correct, the rear haunches of the car fit the top and the Sidescreens are fitted as per the instructions then it is a more straightforward job. You need to fabricate brackets to fit the top to the finials at the rear of the doors, cut and trim the rear screen and install the front screen corners with clips to the front edge. Then there's the bodywork element which needs similar prep and finish to the car itself. The inside of the moulding is standard matting finish, some leave as is, some simply paint and others smooth and paint which looks a much nicer job when done.
My hardtop on my 289 is pretty much a permanent fixture now. They are not 100 waterproof in a monsoon, as water can get in around the front of the Sidescreens, top centre of the screen and rear arches (from back to front) and this is at speed. It is more drips as opposed to a torrent of water.
Overall I think they are a great addition that makes the car much more useable.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Drinkybeer »

Many thanks for your detailed reply Stu, much appreciated. I've reached out to Gerry and he's given me the price of the moulding and rear window. I would want to employ someone to do all this as I don't have the skills (or garage space!) to do this. I guess first thing is to save up as I reckon the all in finished and fitted price could be touching £1,500.