Lucas washer pump

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Lucas washer pump

Post by peterc »

Hi Guys, any suggestions where to buy a replacement washer pump for a Lucas 5SJ washer assy.
washer pump.JPG
It only around 15 months old so out of any warranty but I don't want to pay another £160 for a complete assy.
The pump is located on its O/D which is 34.5 m dia so its important to have the electrical connections on the end for it to be able to be slid into position.
Seen quite a few pumps on line buy no dimensions to assist.
A far less neat option will be to buy the later lid assy where the pump is mounted on top of the lid rather than hidden under a cover.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Lucas washer pump

Post by clive »

What is wrong with the one you have Peter? If it is knackered, then could you remove the innards and fit a modern type hidden under the dash and still have the hoses going through the original thus giving the impression the original is working?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Clive that’s a good thought. Assuming of course I can find some space under the dash. To keep the image I’d need to piggy back the wiring off to the new pump position.
Yes, technically speaking the existing one is buggered so rather disappointed after such a short life bearing in mind it’s hardly ever used.
It failed my pre MOT test but thankfully the garage forgot to check it!
The later models of 5SJ seem to have the pump mounted horizontally on top of the lid but as said doesn’t look very neat.
All the searches on the web seem to offer that design with the motor terminals close to the pump end.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Seized up through lack of use…….ditch the water and fill the washer bottle with 20W50….problem solved.😜😜😜
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Plenty upgrade to the Lucas WSB101 that uses a standard Lucas washer pump that can be easily swapped when the pump seizes up between MOT's. The pumps cost a tenner on evilbay.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks for the comments guys.
Definitely not seized up. I took the pump section apart and perfectly clean as one would expect for only 15 months old. Managed to rotate the impeller OK.
I have never had any issues with washer pumps over 22 years so would have been surprised if that was the issue.
I could buy just the top section of the newer design WSB 101 but it’s not very neat compared with what I have.
Just found a potential replacement pump so taking a chance on ordering as I have no dimensions so just going by visual appearance.
Fingers crossed.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

For reference it’s now fixed with a new pump ( code 103 630 ) from Autodoc in Germany.
A bit irritating that delivery far exceeds the cost of the pump but £16 a whole lot better than £100 for a top assembly replacement with the newer design of an exposed pump.
Fun and games fitting it as I had bought the pump on sight of a photo without dimensions. But heh, it was only 0.5 mm bigger in dia so after some carefully filing it slid into place.
Curiously it wouldn’t pump through the jets. Checking with the pipe disconnected it gave jet a good 2-3 feet up toward the ceiling. Checked the piping and I could blow through easily enough. If you don’t first succeed then try and try again.
Fourth attempt it all worked perfectly correctly so can only assume that there was an airlock or something.
So job done without needing to pull the dash out and change the switch which was my first diagnosis.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Perhaps obvious, but assume there are no kinks in the pipe?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Nothing had changed before/ after it all worked correctly. As mentioned I tried several times with the internal piping disconnected and pump worked well albeit a small delay in priming. No indication of blockages as it was easy enough to blow through internal piping and jets. So no idea why it didn’t work at the first attempt. I was quite happy to expect a delay as the system would need priming but no idea what was different at attempt four that allowed it to work.
Also had an issue with 2nd speed on the wipers but that was simply a loose spade inside the multi connector.
Still all sorted so onto the next job.
Peter C