Orange indicators

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
frats289

Orange indicators

Post by frats289 »

Originally MOTd my car in '97 with no SVA/IVA required. Donor car was 1972 and for the first MOT I rigged up orange indiators with hazards.

After the first MOT I bought a 'B' suffix plate and changed the indicators to white on the front and red to the rear all as per the original Mk 2 289 since when it has passed the MOTs without comment. That was until recently when I was informed " it will pass this year but not next, the indicators must be the same colour as was required when the car was first registered..."

Does anybody have a red/white indicator car based on a donor car with orange indicators and if so have you had any problems?

Frank
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Orange indicators

Post by peterc »

Interesting development. I assume they were working towards SVA?.
I have always had orange indicators, the fronts being orange bulbs in clear mountings and sidelight in the headlight and separate indicators for the rear.
So just a thought.
For the front you can get an LED bulb that will shine white for sidelight and orange for the indicator but I expect it needs to be a dual pin connection. Try Better Car Lighting for details.
On the rear it’s a bit more involved. I have the early Spyida LED system built into the rectangular Lucas lamp 542 which does give orange thro’ the red lense. I now have a reflector to hide the hole where the indicator was.

As an aside. If you have a desire to have daylight running lights and your sidelights are in the headlight then you can now get a LED bulb that will cover both requirements. In park mode e.g. no ignition it will light up as a normal sidelight but LED brightness. Turn on the ignition and it will shine super bright unless you then turn on the headlights. Sounds like the effect of dim dip system that was a requirement 25 years ago. I thought that system was very useful for low down sports cars e.g. my Westfield. It was effectively dim headlights introduced into Sweden when they changed from driving on the left to driving on the right.
Accident rates went down regardless of all the confusion caused by the change.

Out of interest did the MOT guy suggest anything else would fail in a years time.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

To be honest, I'm surprised that you managed to get away with not having orange indicators. The MOT is based on the date the car was first registered in the UK, so I would assume that as it is pre-SVA that would be 1972, the year of the donor, however red indicators can only be used on cars registered before September 1965. The fact that you changed the number plate has no bearing whatsoever on the MOT. If it was then my 2020 BMW would be tested as a 1957 car!
My car, which is based on a 1968 donor, has two registration dates on the V5C, The date of first Registration 1968 (Donor Vehicle) and Date of First Registration in UK (2006) which is the date it was registered after SVA as a Hawk 289. This is the date of the Age Related registration and also the date taken for MOT purposes. If a vehicle has an item retro fitted, for example rear fog lights, then they will be tested as part of the test even if they weren't compulsory when the car was first registered.
(Perhaps the reason you won't get away with the red lights next year is the tester is due to retire.)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

I have the Spyda LEDs as my rear indicators, brake and night lighting, and works a treat.

However, I also have my first MOT coming up in Jan. Do MOT regs require a rear reflector other than what the coffin light provides?
Also, I'm assuming I have to have functional fog and reverse lights?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Cheers, Clive.

KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks Clive.
So: rear reflectors, fog and reverse light needed. OK, no probs. But....
this has me a bit worried:

4.6.3. Switching
You must inspect all reversing lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 other than quadricycles and Class 3 vehicles.

Reversing lamps must operate automatically when reverse gear is selected and extinguish when reverse gear is deselected.

On some vehicles it may be necessary to have the engine running before the reversing lamps will work.

I am running a 4 speed toploader, so no automatic reverse switch available. For IVA I had a toggle switch on the dash, which is still there. But this appears to be out.

Any advice please gentlemen?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Section 29 of the IVA Manual states in the Required Standard, that reversing lights "Must operate by selection of reverse gear or be fitted with a tell-tale warning light."
Perhaps print the relevant section and show it to the MOT inspector if you have a problem. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... hicles.pdf
Cheers, Clive.

frats289

Post by frats289 »

That's it then, quickly removable orange indicators without the need to drill holes coming up...

Thanks chaps

Frank
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Which indicators do you have fitted? It could be that you can change the lenses without changing the complete unit. Have a look at the S-V-C website. https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/category/lights/
Cheers, Clive.

frats289

Post by frats289 »

Currently the set up I have is exactly as the original AC, I'm considering orange indicators on stalks mounted on clips fixed to the overrider tubes - easily removable and no holes...

Frank