Track Rod Ends

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Keith56
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Track Rod Ends

Post by Keith56 »

Included in my new Hawk front suspension kit were new track rod ends. There was nothing much wrong with my old ones but I thought I might as well change them while I had everything apart. That's where the trouble started....

The new parts are about 20mm longer than the old ones and I presume would fit directly to an unmodified (apart from the pinion shaft) MGB steering rack? Mine however is quite an old car having been built in 1995 and my rack has been lengthened, by shortening the track rods and adding a threaded spacer and stud (see pics).

IMG_20220306_125305.jpg
IMG_20220306_131647.jpg

Was this some earlier approach to accommodating the slightly wider-than-MGB track?

The new TR ends are too long to work with the extensions and too short to fit directly. Rather than buy a new rack I will now reinstate the old track rod ends but I'd love to know the background. Can any of you old hands shed any light?

Cheers

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Track Rod Ends

Post by clive »

Looking at your steering rack end, there does not appear to be anything like the number threads to allow for the track rod end and locking nut, or allow for any adjustment. The steering rack that Gerry supplies does require shortening slightly and the extended track rods used. I cannot remember off the top of my head how much you need to shorten, but trial and error would show what is required to make it fit. Alternatively, drop Gerry an email.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Keith56
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by Keith56 »

Hi Clive, no, the ends have been cut off leaving just enough thread to engage the spacer but not enough for lock nuts. The old ball joints look like standard MGB bits whereas the new ones that came with Gerry's kit look custom made, I presume to avoid having to shorten the track rods.

I've re-assembled it all now with the old ball joints for the time being, so it's a bit academic but I'd still like to know before they need changing.

I was about to call Gerry this afternoon when I realised it's a Sunday so I thought I'd leave it and see what the forum regulars thought.

Cheers

Keith
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Am I correct in thinking that the hexagonal spacer is fully threaded on to the steering rack and the adjustment is on the short threaded piece between it and the track rod end?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

When I built my car in 1998/9 I was told by Gerry I needed the new longer TR ends to go with his tubular front wishbones as the assembly was that little bit wider than an original MGB. I don't remember cutting anything off the rack ends.
I was not sure at the time if that only applied to my FIA model?
Peter C
Keith56
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by Keith56 »

I've been chatting to Gerry about this today. Occasionally the track rods have to be trimmed slightly for the tubular wishbone set-up but only by a few mm.
In my case they've been shortened by about 40mm, not even leaving the requisite 1.5d of thread let alone enough for a locking nut.

To answer Clive's question, yes, the hex spacers are threaded and the adjustment is in the engagement of the extension stud in the TR end. It works, but looks naff and crucially, insufficient engagement and no locknut for the hex spacer to track rod.

I thought I could use the track rods from a spare rack I had but the inner ends are quite different so are not interchangeable. In fact the internals of the two racks are quite different with the rack teeth of mine cut at an angle vs straight on the spare one so I couldn't even swap pinions and use the spare rack.

I've ordered a new rack from Gerry....

While I'm at it, my intermediate steering column shaft is apparently shorter that the Hawk one too, as well as being a bit of a botch but that'll have to wait for another day.