Oil Temp.

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
allan horsfall

Oil Temp.

Post by allan horsfall »

Good morning gentlemen,
Silverstone was great, but we had a bit of a headache getting there, car is a mildly tuned Rover V8.
Left home at 6.30, a little cold but car was running fine, after about 15 miles stopped car to get wifes coat out of the boot, got back in and restarted it and noticed the oil temp starting to rise, pressure was OK so continued but kept speed down to a steady 50MPH. Temp kept rising to 150, water temp was fine at 80-90, oil pressure still OK. Further into the trip noticed oil pressure was fluctuating between 40-60 and temp was off the dial.
Parade lap went without incident.
Return journey kept a constant 50MPH. Water temp 80-85 (normal), oil temp 100 (tad high) oil pressure 40-50 (slightly high at times). On the odd times when I needed to increase revs ie hills, or overtaking, I could watch oil temp starting to increase.

So, is this a mechanical or electrical problem, my first thought was oil temp sender failure but as oil pressure also playing up now not so sure. Do I have to strip engine or dashboard?
allan horsfall

Re: Oil Temp.

Post by allan horsfall »

Afternoon guys,

Temp sender seems to be working, so first thoughts appear to be correct. Thanks for all your input.
Thinking back on it I could have got Silverstone a bit quicker, but at least my wife was happy, she much prefers plodding!

Allan