Rover gearboxes

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
StuBaker

Re: Rover gearboxes

Post by StuBaker »

I have the T5 on my Ford engine and the lever is 4-5" further back than the RV8 and LT77 with shortened remote. It's not as nice to shift...even though the T5 is a delight... another job on the winter list.
Has anyone else moved the shifter forward on the T5? I know TVR did. I do have a plan though.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Hi Migge, I feel your pain but build information is very difficult to come by especially if you're not a Cobra aficionado.
The Cobra is 60 years old now and there are fewer people getting excited about it just as for Austin 7 and other classics that are dying out as enthusiasts get younger and lust after Scoobies and Golfs.
I've been talking to several newbies recently and I'm astounded at the lack of available knowledge after all these years. ( I started in 1998) I try to share what I have done but is by no means a benchmark and I'm never sure about what I'm doing from an authenticity viewpoint. I don't have the luxury of friends with 289's on the doorstep.
I guess people are either guarding their intellectual property or are afraid the plagiarists will take advantage.
I personally enjoy the research and constant improvement but it is still nice to have people like yourself who have 'done it' already.
I'm currently compiling a parts list for my car with part numbers and suppliers for my own use and any future owner.
If I actually finish it I may make it available for T289R use as I don't see anything similar on here.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Hi Migge, I feel your pain but build information is very difficult to come by especially if you're not a Cobra aficionado.
The Cobra is 60 years old now and there are fewer people getting excited about it just as for Austin 7 and other classics that are dying out as enthusiasts get younger and lust after Scoobies and Golfs.
I've been talking to several newbies recently and I'm astounded at the lack of available knowledge after all these years. ( I started in 1998) I try to share what I have done but is by no means a benchmark and I'm never sure about what I'm doing from an authenticity viewpoint. I don't have the luxury of friends with 289's on the doorstep.
I guess people are either guarding their intellectual property or are afraid the plagiarists will take advantage.
I personally enjoy the research and constant improvement but it is still nice to have people like yourself who have 'done it' already.
I'm currently compiling a parts list for my car with part numbers and suppliers for my own use and any future owner.
If I actually finish it I may make it available for T289R use as I don't see anything similar on here.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Hi Stu,

I have done the T5 forward linkage for my other project. Because I'm not a member anymore I can't post any pics, not even on the private message site. If you want some pics that may help you, please send me a message with your email address.
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

Migge

I have met you at Silverstone, you are a thoroughly nice chap. Thoroughly nice chaps are thin on the ground these days.
The reasons for you leaving the club, and then to continue to post on here just don't add up.
What good will it do for you now to be just a reader only ? none !
The same for Nigel Pittard, he left, then shortly after posted an advert on here to sell some wheels - WTF ?

Guys, FFS Life is too short for this bollocks, your knowledge and input is vital for new builders. Why not restore the status quo, and move on ?
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

:D
cobraboy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:08 pm Migge

I have met you at Silverstone, you are a thoroughly nice chap. Thoroughly nice chaps are thin on the ground these days.
The reasons for you leaving the club, and then to continue to post on here just don't add up.
What good will it do for you now to be just a reader only ? none !
The same for Nigel Pittard, he left, then shortly after posted an advert on here to sell some wheels - WTF ?

Guys, FFS Life is too short for this bollocks, your knowledge and input is vital for new builders. Why not restore the status quo, and move on ?

Well said that man……
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Migge

Post by Migge »

I'll continue to read postings and say a word or two or answer questions if some one needs an answer and I may can help. What I don't do is to join the register again as long as the same people are still at the steering wheel. Case closed, thanks.
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

Of course that is your choice.
I hope you get to Silverstone, I would like to see the yellow car again. Let us know where you are at the show if you do go.
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

Double post
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Hi Migge,
I've resent my email by PM, seems it didn't send before...
Cheers,
Stu