Dashboard covering

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
StuBaker

Re: Dashboard covering

Post by StuBaker »

Once you've done the dash you have the glove box lid.
Anyone know how this is done per original?
Is the piping around the lid a separate piece or sewn into the covering?
I can't tell from the photos I have of a supposedly original unit in pieces.
I have some info on the ingredients, from the outside in:

leather facing
cotton wadding
1/4" ply (5 ply birch)
1'16" mill board
rexine
the 1" x 8" 20g chromed brass hinge is riveted to the ply on the outside (probably why the cotton wadding is used and why the lid always look padded?)
I'm assuming the wadding and mill board are there to make up the difference in height of hinge on the outside and leather return on the inside.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks for this - a task I am due to have a go at soon.

Do you mean 1/16” mill board?

Have you got a good source for the hinge at all? I’m sure some of these questions are probably covered in some old newsletter stuff we have on the site. I’ll have a look when I have a minute.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Yes sorry, one sixteenth of a ninch.
The thicker one is instead of an airbag.😜

I have emailed Gold & Wassall for a price. They only sell 72" so I'll have a bit left over. I'll probably go for brass. Original I believe was chromed brass but you can't really see it.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

My dashboard is steel with plenty of welds but it will do fine, I think the beading around the glove lid is just tacked to the wood, anyway that's what I plan to do with a bit of swimming pool liner cushion for the padding. Hopefully when finished it will look old like the rest of the car 😂
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

G & W have minimum £40 order so that's 18ft of hinge! Unchromed.
I found another source who do chromed brass but metric and drilled at the wrong centres.
I've mocked up the glovebox lid today but I still can't convince myself either way. Not enough info yet.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just measured my steel hinge. It’s 1/2” Center of pivot to edge and 10” long. It was black steel when purchased and still seems OK having been in the glove box for over 20 years. I don’t remember coating it with anything relying on the blackened finish which makes it disappear with the black leather. I have it screwed to both lid and dash.
I would assume that the guy who added the leather for me did not use any wadding as the glove box lid matches the dash as un padded.
I’m sure my lid was thicker than 1/4” ply but obviuosly can’t check now as it under several layers of leather at the edge.
The rear ( inner face ) looks like it was covering a thin board and then glued to the plywood. In the case of a standard Hawk dash the overall thickness was made to match the extent of the fibreglass return edge so overall measures circa 5/8” including the leather.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks Peter,
That's pretty much now I did mine originally except with vinyl. Using 10mm ply there is plenty of edge to glue to.
I'm now trying to replicate the original method and I have quite a lot of info, thanks actually to Roger King who asked the questions over 10 years ago on the AC Owners forum.
The one bit that's bothering me is the piping. Looking at the original photos I have there appears to be only one layer of leather about 3/4" wide on the reverse of the lid. Hence the layer of card to make up the gap...
This I think, is the outer edge of the piping.
I'm not on my PC at the moment but I'll add the images later. It will be clearer than I can describe.
It's a bit like the Crystal Maze owning a 289 (rep).
Cheers,
Stu
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

You can see on the Shelby signed lid that the piping goes all the way round to the reverse side.
On the split ones there seems to be only one layer??
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Stu

Ooh, just had a thought. Am I allowed to put these pictures on? If not I'll delete them straight away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

This is the options I have come up with..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Migge

Post by Migge »

I don't think that the piping is plane witht the front cover. It seems a bit (pipe diameter) in front of it. That's what I did. I used this for the edge.
https://www.automobilia-versand.de/de/k ... leder.html