Tyre sizes

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Tyre sizes

Post by simonjrwinter »

I know there are few 15” tyres to choose from nowadays, but is the situation better or worse with 16” tyres?

Simon
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Re: Tyre sizes

Post by MartBlak »

Hi Simon,

I have 16" wheels and found it really difficult to find good high speed tyres. My 289 engine is in a GD Mk3 body (which is a 427 shape) so I think I will likely have more room under the rear arches. I ended up fitting Toyo Proxes (on the strong recommendation from Andy at GD) but have different tread patterns front and back........which doesn't worry me aethetically but gives me the standard I was looking for. The tyre sizes and ratings are:
Rear: Toyo Proxes T1-R 245/55 R16 100W
Front: Toyo Proxes T1 Sport 225/55 ZR16 99Y XL

If you find good 16" tyres I would be interested in where you get them from. I will try and dig out who I got mine.

Martin
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Not forgetting it also depends on the rim width available with the correct type of attachment method. I believe the GD uses Jag style 5 bolts but Hawks use the MGB style spline.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

I think it depends on what model of car you have. If you are planning on the skinnier tyres used on an Ace or a road going 289, then I can't really comment. I believe a lot of people look at Blockleys?

But for a FIA-style car with knock-ons, or a 427 body shape, 15" is no problem at all. There is now lots of choice, and with Avons being a popular cross-ply tread with the right selection of sizes. Good grip but pricey. There are also Pirellis and Dunlop I believe.

The big news in 15" tyres was a few years ago was when NorthHants Tyres started manufacture of the Galaxy range of tyres, allegedly to meet demand from GT40 owners (presumably replicas). At about £120-150 per corner, V-rated and a 60 profile they are perfect for FIA or 427 shapes. The only downside is a modern radial tread pattern.