MoT Emissions

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
BrianC
T289R Member
T289R Member

MoT Emissions

Post by BrianC »

My Hawk is coming up for it's MoT soon, and I am wondering how different fuels, i.e 98 octane with zero ethanol, Super with 5%, and 95 octane with 10% affect the emissions as my levels are on the edge. I'm running a newly rebuilt 3.9 Rover with the ubiquitous 4 barrel Edelbrock. Happy to put in a gallon of 10% stuff just for the test if this gives a cleaner reading.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: MoT Emissions

Post by peterc »

You have raised an interesting query Brian.
I would have thought that the 5% ethanol super grade would have given better readings. Hasn't it been said that the higher ethanol gives poorer mpg? So the super grade gives a better bang. If any members know for a fact please say.
The main question would be has the carb been matched to the 3.9 L.
Why not ask the MOT station before you visit.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Emissions requirements are on the bottom of the V5 and you can always swing by the garage and get them to check emissions prior to the MOT. Normally poor emmissons are as a result of a knackered engine, rubbish settings and incorrect timing.
It's amazing the difference a couple of degrees on the dizzy can make. I think that'd make much more difference than E5 to E10. I use Esso Synnergy supreme as that supposedly has bugger all Ethanol.

Post by cobraboy »

Raise the idle speed for the test.
BrianC
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by BrianC »

Despite the car being registered 27/03/2000 and being issued with an age related plate (EBW 178J) there are NO figures on the Emissions section, all blank. What would MoT station be looking for?
I have also been running on the Esso Supreme.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

If the car was rebuilt using sufficient parts from the donor and you were awarded an age related plate then it sounds like your car only needs to pass a smoke test or that equal to a J reg car.
Peter C
FIAJack

Post by FIAJack »

Brian - look at the front page of your V5 - section 3 Special Notes - the emission requirements set at the IVA should be listed there, not section V which are completed for fully type approved vehicles.

Cheers
BrianC
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by BrianC »

Under Special notes heading

1 REBUILT - ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW

Nothing about emissions though.
FIAJack

Post by FIAJack »

Sorry, my error - I read registered 2000 as registered 2020 - Doh! Here's an extract from MOT Inspection Manual.

"Kit cars
Kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle’s registration document (V5c). If the V5c does not show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test."
Not sure how much that helps.
Cheers
philt400
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by philt400 »

Can you please supply more detail regarding how and where you found the quote regarding Kit cars - I need this to show my MOT man.

Thanks