Underslung exhaust pics please

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Underslung exhaust pics please

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’d be very interested to see any pics of underslung exhaust systems on a hawk, where they exit, where the boxes are, how they deal with the axle etc. if anybody has, or can take some pictures I’d really appreciate seeing them.
Simon
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Underslung exhaust pics please

Post by clive »

Different engines and axles utilise different exhaust routings. This is my Ford 302 with Jag IRS as supplied by Hawk cars.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Out of interest Clive what OD was the piping. I currently thinking mine needs an increase now that I’m getting closer to 300bhp.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

My Rover system was more or less the same. I chose to reroute out to the inner side of the door cills and then up and over the Jag axle. I re used Hawk supplied boxes and as much of the piping as I could. I believe the original Cobra had its expansion box/ 1st silencer more or less under the drivers seat.
If you chose to go under the axle I believe it should be closer together to get slightly higher to avoid the bottom radius arms.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Herewith photos of my current system.
Peter C
DSCN1619.JPG
[attachment=2]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

This is what it was like before re routing
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

peterc wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:29 pm Out of interest Clive what OD was the piping. I currently thinking mine needs an increase now that I’m getting closer to 300bhp.
Peter C
Hi Peter, sorry for the delay but as I no longer have a pit to get under the car it's not that easy to crawl about especially getting back up!
Anyway the OD is 52mm which equates to 2" in old money. Hope that helps.

CJ
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Clive. Sounds like the same as mine at 2.125 O/D.
I need to change my rusting CS manifolds and started to investigate what size they should be. I have been waiting on Gerry for a year now and can’t wait to much longer.
It appears this size favours a torquey engine but with Circa 220 BHP not my 275 ( with plans for a bit more) .
I had assumed with your 302 Ford you would have had something a bit bigger.
It’s true that going too big is not clever either. That favours BHP but ruins the low down torque.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

I have to look where I have the link but a few year ago a Company made comparison to diameter, length, collector etc. It is not that much difference on an engine for street use. It makes a bit difference on engines operating in the range between 4t and 8t rpm. Aka race engines. BTW I'm running headers with 2" diameter.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

peterc wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:29 pm Out of interest Clive what OD was the piping. I currently thinking mine needs an increase now that I’m getting closer to 300bhp.
Peter C
That’s a respectable power output for a rover. I’m hoping to have something like that in my next car, can you tell me how it was achieved?

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.