Immobiliser

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Immobiliser

Post by phlip99 »

I have, I believe, the standard Toad/Sterling immobiliser fitted.
There's yards of cable behind the dash which crowds everything out and I don't really trust the thing anyway, so I'm thinking I'll take it out.

Question:-
Am I right in thinking that the wires from the immobiliser box simply break into the cable powering 1. the fuel pump, 2. the ignition circuit and 3. the starter motor solenoid, and diverts the feed to these 3 via the box?

So if I disconnect the 2 wires going from each of these components into the box and join the component cables up I'll be back in business?

Hope that makes sense!!

Cheers
phil.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Immobiliser

Post by peterc »

Yes, I believe it does isolate three circuits.however I think that there might be a power source as well. Surely the box wouldn’t function otherwise?
It’s a long time ago that I changed to a cat 1 alarm. That’s a real pain to disconnect as it thinks the car is being hot wired and sounds the alarm continuously until it’s own built in battery runs out!
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Earplugs!!!!!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

On mine there are 2 circuits that are disabled. Up to the builder which these are, commonly starter motor feed and ignition LT circuit.
But to remove i would suggest tracing each of the black toad cables until they hit coloured loom wiring.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Many thanks for the input & advice.
Yes, I'm sure you're right Peter, there must be a power supply somewhere but I'm not sure where it comes - a bit more work required there!

Does the Toad have built in batteries??

Cheers
Phil.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

phlip99 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:46 pm Many thanks for the input & advice.
Yes, I'm sure you're right Peter, there must be a power supply somewhere but I'm not sure where it comes - a bit more work required there!

Does the Toad have built in batteries??

Cheers
Phil.
Mine (the £50 unit) definitely does not - it uses a permanent live feed from the battery.