Wiring diagram??

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
phlip

Wiring diagram??

Post by phlip »

Has anyone gone to the trouble of drawing up a conventional (ie old school) wiring diagram for the Hawk??

I have the list of wires/colours but mine appear to differ. I have started drawing it up but there are a number of redundant wires and from the list it's not obvious as to what exactly joins what. Also, it doesn't help that my relays & fuses are so far under the wing that I can hardly see the wires attached to them.

This topic arose a few years ago but no one owned up to drawing up a diagram.

Maybe I'm the only wiring pedant in the club!!??

Phil.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Wiring diagram??

Post by clive »

Hi Phil,

Do you not have the Hawk wiring list? Not schematic but easy to follow. There is a difference between Ford and Rover engines.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I’m not sure an old school wiring diagram would help me?
Gerry’s list is designed for people to assemble the car. Namely certain colours being presented near to the location of the item to be connected. It worked for me.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Hi Peter, Clive,
Yes, I have the 8 page (Rover engine) list of wires/colours which, as Clive points out, is great and exactly what you need to assemble the car ...... but I have the disadvantage of not having assembled the car and I'm now looking at a mass of wires disappearing into various looms that may even have been modified by various owners over the last 12 years or more.
For instance, I have 3 wires coming from the alternator - big fat red one, a white and a brown/yellow. On page 5 of Gerry's list under Alternator it lists "large brown" - so that's probably my red, it has a brown/yellow listed but no white. BUT no mention of where these wires come from.

So, the list is designed for assembly not fault finding 10 years down the line! With an old school schematic it would take literally seconds to find the origin & destination of any of the wires.

I can't be the first to have thought a schematic would be useful surely!!??

I just thought I'd save a lot of time if someone had already drawn one up in the past that I could benefit from.

Over and above the practical considerations - I like simple diagrams for wiring. in the past I have created my own for vintage cars I've owned with full colour stylised drawings of the various components (dynamo, starter etc..) .

So, I accept there may be no shortcut here and I'll just have to crack on starting from scratch but with the help of Gerry's list.
I'll post the results here when I get there!!
I just wish the builder hadn't put the relays so far under the wing that I can barely see the front never mind the wires going in the back!!

Phil.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Never bothered with a wiring diagram, most of the colours used are standardish colours anyway. The looms are different ie, standard Ford, Rover and Triumph as a few of the ancillaries are on different sides. They are probably 80-90% similar though. There's also different routing preferences such as boot harness running at the top along the opening returns or on the boot floor and around the sides. If you have any specific issues, post them up or otherwise draw the loom up and stick it in the Wiki 💪
John Coward
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John Coward »

I tend to agree with Phil that a schematic would be useful but the problem is that it would likely be different for every Hawk, I know I have modified mine in some rather odd ways which I would like to change sometime. There is probably some useful software which would help people do their own schematic if they felt the need.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Stu,
Yes, I agree that most of it, lights, ancillaries, gauges are straightforward but the ignition circuit has me puzzled.

I'd be grateful for some guidance as below.

I have .... on the alternator:- big fat red one, a white and a brown/yellow. Where do these wires go??
.... on the coil:- + side > 2 x white, white/Gn: - side > Blk/white, Purple/Orange. Blk/W to Dizzy but where do others go??
.... on the starter/solenoid (it's a hi-torque modern) :- 4x big fat brown & white/red. 2 of the Browns go to relays I think but what of the others?

As I said earlier, I'm hindered by the fact that I can't see the wires feeding the relays other than partially with a mirror.

I'll get there in the end I'm sure.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Phil.