hot rear axle

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
jeff

hot rear axle

Post by jeff »

Chaps
How hot should an MGB axle get? I am trying to trace noises (150 very slow miles only completed since SVA).....some I think from the gearbox and some from the recon back axle....... there is no trim in the car so yoiu expect noise but I have got all sorts of strange noises T5 gearbox brand new makes noise like thers a bearing gone, in fifth only any suggestions.

Jeff
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins." "Right sir!" "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war
Roger King

Re: hot rear axle

Post by Roger King »

jeff wrote:Chaps
How hot should an MGB axle get? I am trying to trace noises (150 very slow miles only completed since SVA).....some I think from the gearbox and some from the recon back axle....... there is no trim in the car so yoiu expect noise but I have got all sorts of strange noises T5 gearbox brand new makes noise like thers a bearing gone, in fifth only any suggestions.

Jeff
Odd. Don't see why a T5 should only make a noise in 5th, but I suppose it's possible. If it's new, where did you get it? Modern Driveline etc. give great after-sales service - I should give the supplier a call and discuss it. B rear axles I know nothing about. As they're presumably a smaller version of the series V axle used in Healeys (may be wrong here), I'm not surprised it's noisy.
The Jag axle can be noisy in a Hawk, buzzing and whining a bit because it's bolted rigidly to the chassis - but the B axle isn't, obviously.