brackets to body

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

brackets to body

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Could anybody give any guidance in respect of attaching items to the inside of the body that are mildly load bearing. What I have in mind is brackets for boot stays etc. Is this just fiberglass pad or do you need a load bearing plate to distribute the load so as not to get a mark on the external skin?
Roger King

Re: brackets to body

Post by Roger King »

The telescopic boot stay simply screws through the fibreglass flange around the boot aperture. I used a steel plate also to spread the load a little, but the 'glass is pretty strong.
There should be a piece with it to screw to the underside of the bootlid.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I agree with Roger. The quality of the fibreglass in the Hawks is superb. Compared with other manufacturers the fibreglass is a lot thicker and less prone to flexing and distortion, however I used mudguard washers behind nuts and bolts to help spread any load. You can also drill and tap the fibreglass for some lighter fixings.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Dear LS and Clive
I was obviously not paying any attention at the last tutorial, mea culpa, and didn't quite cover what I was asking. I was thinking also of those items which you can't drill through the body work as it will show such as the angle brackets to secure the side louvres (not using Ford signs). Innotec have a good range but require a suitable order. In respect of badges that do not have pins do you use silicone and of so what type? On the subject of silicone do you use it to seal the windscreen escutcheons into place? Sparrow
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Cotton Mouth wrote:Dear LS and Clive
I was obviously not paying any attention at the last tutorial, mea culpa, and didn't quite cover what I was asking. I was thinking also of those items which you can't drill through the body work as it will show such as the angle brackets to secure the side louvres (not using Ford signs). Innotec have a good range but require a suitable order. In respect of badges that do not have pins do you use silicone and of so what type? On the subject of silicone do you use it to seal the windscreen escutcheons into place? Sparrow
Um - dunno. My side grilles were fitted by Hawk - I guess the bracket they fix to is bonded into the glass.
All my badges have pins - are you sure you bought a Hawk?
I'd keep silicone away from anything that's going to be painted, which most definitely includes the body. A tiny cross-head screw (I use door trim screws for Healey 3000s) should hold the screen escutcheon plate, along with a bit of Seelastik or similar. I wouldn't use a PU sealer as you'll never get them off again.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Again I'm with Roger ( :shock: Folk will talk!) My side vents were fitted by Hawk too. As far as the badges are concerned, I used the double sided tape similar to the type used for attaching number plates and interior mirrors to production cars. I've had a roll of this for years, it is slightly padded and impervious to water. Stick it to the rear of the badge and trim off the excess with a scalpel or similar.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

For the badges I went to PC World and bought some heat sink tape - bare with me here!

This tape is V sticky and wafer thin. It is used to attach heat sinks to the top of processors and needs to be thin enough to allow the heat to get straight to the heat sink.

I stuck in onto the back of the badge, cut around the edges, peeled of the other face and hey presto.

The tape is so thin that the 'AC' badge at the rear needed to be bent very slightly with a universal adjuster to marry to the curve of the boot lid.

The badges sit flush with the surface with no gap underneath as with padded tapes.

Dave Woodward.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Very helpful. I really sorry to have to ask but what is a "universal adjuster"? In a possible measure of repayment for all of your help I thought might like the following - especially the smoke advert halfway down - if you have seen it before my apologies. http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Cotton Mouth wrote:...I really sorry to have to ask but what is a "universal adjuster"?
Sparrow, you will never qualify at this rate. A 'universal adjuster' is a slightly bigger version of what you were using last week to test Mrs Loosebracket's patella tendon reflexes, but not made of rubber. Please try to keep up.

SLS
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Roger King wrote:
Cotton Mouth wrote:...I really sorry to have to ask but what is a "universal adjuster"?
Sparrow, you will never qualify at this rate. A 'universal adjuster' is a slightly bigger version of what you were using last week to test Mrs Loosebracket's patella tendon reflexes, but not made of rubber. Please try to keep up.
SLS
You neglected to say whether you used an Imperial(correct) or Metric(SO wrong) universal adjuster, which could be where the misconfusion arose from, and you really should clarify which method was used: over- or underarm. :roll:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!