hood fitting and tonneau

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
SJ
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: hood fitting and tonneau

Post by SJ »

I noticed in a lot of the photos from the silverstone classic, that a lot of members have opted for tenax fasteners over lift the dot, is there any advantage ?
David Large

Post by David Large »

I am not sure I know what a Tenax fastener is, but my tonneau uses lift the dot. I have no fixing along the top of the passenger door so there is s fair "unfastened span" of material from the last "lift the dot" behind the back edge of the door to the fixing by the windscreen pillar. At speed - say 60mph plus - the tonneau flaps along the top of the door and undoes the lift the dot fixing, then it gets more exciting. I really need to sort this out. It is job no 55 on the list of items to finish I produced when we put the car on the road 21 years ago!

Cheers

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I never drive my car at speeds over 50 mph anyway! :roll: :wink:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:
Roger King wrote:
clive wrote:Trust me, ...you sometimes need a hood....
...if you will live in the frozen, damp north...
If I recollect, the rain started south of Carlisle. :roll:
Er - your point being? From where I'm sitting, Carlisle isn't exactly South...
You're getting confused because there was still a lot of water coming down in the Midlands. That isn't rain, it's condensation from the Eastern swamps rising and falling again.

No original cars used Tenax fasteners, 'lift-the-dot' all round being correct ('Tenax' have a round button in the middle which you lift to release the jaws - they fit over a stud similar, but not the same as, lift-the-dot studs). Healeys and other sixties cars used a Tenax at the major points, e.g. just behind the door, and ltds everywhere else. Tenax everywhere would look like overkill, they're quite bulky.

I had both hood and tonneau fitted by Les at Polyfacto, and a marvellous job he did too. I have a nasty feeling it's one of those jobs that you need to have done a few times to get it exactly right. Les fits a simple press-stud fastener just in front of the door for the tonneau, as an extra, which many original cars also gained. This stops the front corner of the tonneau lifting up at speed and the ltd just behind the door stays put.