Exhausts and Headers

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: Exhausts and Headers

Post by Roger King »

What a bunch of tight-arses. They're only four quid from tweeks:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /1883/5167

Seriously - over 800 quid just to do the headers? Or the whole system?
Blimey - glad I can't get mine off now, I don't feel obliged to do them.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Cheers for the info guys.

I sent a photo of the headers and extension pipes to Zircotec after their budget price of £840.00. They've now come back with £662 +Vat :?. That's a bit better I suppose.
I've got some other stuff to be getting on with in the mean time, time to save up for the coating.

I'll be playing with the wiring loom this weekend.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StewbieC wrote:Cheers for the info guys.

I sent a photo of the headers and extension pipes to Zircotec after their budget price of £840.00. They've now come back with £662 +Vat :?. That's a bit better I suppose.
I've got some other stuff to be getting on with in the mean time, time to save up for the coating.

I'll be playing with the wiring loom this weekend.
If they do the headers, where are they going to stop the coating to allow for the 90° extension pipes to fit over them? They're a close fit and won't allow a coating thickness on the headers. I suppose you could stop arbitrarily after the collector... you won't really know until you've mocked up the whole system which would, I suppose, be the best way to do it. At that price I think I would do it, if I could get them off. The Mustang's JBA headers look fantastic 4 years after coating, and definitely reduce underbonnet temps. Not Zircotec, probably JBA's own coating, but still good in silver.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

We coat Titanium nitride and Titanium carbonitride at work which uses a similar process. The area that doesn't require coating just require sleeving / masking.
Unfortunatly Titanium coating isn't a thermal insulative coating otherwise my headers may have been gold :mrgreen:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Stewie, a little snippet from the Mustang OC forum where we've recently discussed the same issue:

'I agree with Phil,
We had this done on the race cars a few years ago, and found that the ceramic coating retains so much heat in the primaries that it would over-expand it and ultimately crack the header tubes.
Personally, I'd save my money too!'

Roger
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote: Incidentally, once you've fitted these, if you want to take the headers off after 5 years of heat and rust - well, I haven't found a way yet.

:lol: I have! ...... Here's how,

First. Choose a lovely afternoon such as today. (Not imperative, but better for fast driving).

Second. Select your road. I happened to choose the A 93 southbound, just south of Glenshee.

Third. This is the difficult part. The road must be free of traffic so you can get some momentum going and speed up. Then you must hit the rise in the road just after the part where it is a lovely wide smooth section. This is then followed with the sudden depression in the road, followed by another rise and then another hollow and then all of a sudden there is a teriffic noise of unsilenced engine and grinding of exhaust as it hits the road and tries to pole-vault the car. :shock:

I have only managed to free the driver's side so far, but I could always try it again if needed. :twisted:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Slowjoe

Post by Slowjoe »

Same stretch off road in reverse sounds dangerous?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

This road will feature in the Scottish Road Trip at the end of the month. :lol:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)