carter pump

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
SJ
T289R Member
T289R Member

carter pump

Post by SJ »

I have a facet red top which I am considering changing to a carter.
I already have a filter king pressure regulator ,
I have been given a carter pump p4601hp but it has a maximum pressure of 18psi and has 3/8 npt threads on inlet and outlet.

If I regulated the pressure to 5.5 and used adaptors for the 6mm hoses to fit, would i just be creating problems for myself or
any reason why that wouldn't work.
thanks
Roger King

Re: carter pump

Post by Roger King »

Why are you changing the Red Top?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

As Roger says.

If the Red top aint "bost" don't fix it!

AFAIK the Carters are noisier than the Red Tops. Unless you have major problems with the Red Top why bother?

JMHO
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StewbieC wrote:As Roger says.

If the Red top aint "bost" don't fix it!

AFAIK the Carters are noisier than the Red Tops. Unless you have major problems with the Red Top why bother?

JMHO

Yup, been using Red Top Facets for 20 years now, and the only one that's ever given trouble is one I tried to run off the charging cable (don't ask). The swines wouldn't honour the warranty, but I suppose the melted leads were a give-away. They tick gently, which is a very useful diagnostic for if the engine stops, one coped effortlessly with the voracious appetite of the highly-modified 440 in my Interceptor, the filter's built-in and the spare doesn't take up much room in the boot.

No, I don't work for them.
SJ
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by SJ »

I assume the problem is with the pump , I had a glass inline filter before the pump and replaced it with a fuel tap, because I was fed up draining the tank to try and work out where the problem was. The had a blocked filter once which causd me to breakdown. But now when I get the car running and set the fuel pressure. Next time I turn the key there is either little or no pressure. Am going to look at the pump tday for blockages and aslo the regulator.
Wynterburne

Post by Wynterburne »

I had the same problem with continuing loss of fuel pressure. The guys at Racing Green diagnosed the fuel pump (Red Top). Replaced with another one and all is fine. Mind you, if you are looking at the pressure gauge on the Filter King I am not sure I would trust it too much.

Richard