Low hanging exhaust ...

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Low hanging exhaust ...

Post by Dave Woodward »

Definitely bottoming out on the exhaust. Have been looking at it this evening and can see clear evidence of damage to a u-bolt just fore of the offside rear box. I have played around with the mid mount and given myself an extra inch (ish) but there really is no more to find there. The next thing for me to look at is the down-pipe from the exhaust manifold as this drops down a long way before traversing to the rear.

Thanks for the comment rear the prop shaft binding on the rear bulk head. Already resolved that one! :0)

Dave
T289R Member

Post by SJ »

I will try and get some photos of mine 4 u later, i have tons of clearance i think my lowest point might be a toss up between a corner of the oil sump and the handbrake.

I have the standard hawk set up and mgb axle and rv8 block huggers, but as i was having the same problem i had dairy bends (i think they are called that) cut and shut onto the downpipes and the silencers are nestled right up under the seats, the big bobbins were replaced with little mini-style mounts, loads of clearance. But then became a pain because I hadn't fitted the carpet, and also wanted to change the starter motor. d'oh!!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Thanks SJ.

Sounds like you already had a lot of work done to the 'standard' Hawk setup.

Would be good to see some pics if you get a chance.

Thanks again.

Dave.
T289R Member

Post by SJ »

having probs loading images will try later,
Dave, check your email I ended up emailing the pics to your demon.co. address
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Just a final pause for thought following the recent Le Mans and Silverstone runs.

Issue with exhaust bottoming out has gone. Adjusting the mid exhaust mount so that it sits on top of the chassis bracket has made all the difference. Why I didn't put it like that in the first place I don't know.

The actual difference in height in the exhaust is only ~1.5 cm but this does make all the difference.

Dave.