289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Migge

Re: 289 build

Post by Migge »

Great Job! Don't forget to mount the chromed headlamp rings :-)
Special customized BRA289
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks! Yes, its a bit different. Now I've painted it, I'm thinking of turning it into an homage to 645CGT (https://www.supercars.net/blog/1963-she ... s-hardtop/) but perhaps I should calm down a bit...

On getting it out of the garage, I noticed the Raydyot mirror wobbling a bit. Tightened it up and slightly broke it, which was a bit of a pain in the posterior at 7:30am on the day of the test. The bolt inside the thing has a flattened side which goes in a slot, but my tightening it opened up the slot a little so the nut now rotates freely and can't be tightened - there's no way to get a spanner on the hex head. In the end, I jammed a screwdriver up against it enough to stop it rotating.

Any bright ideas on how to fix this properly would be appreciated! Maybe just a new bolt with less flat on it - but then I'd have to drill and refit the rivets.
IMG_0498.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Migge

Post by Migge »

No state of the art but a possibility:

Remount the mirror and tape all edges of the riveted bracket to the mirror cone. Use masking tape and make sure that no liquid can be find it's way out. Tape the srew in the position you need it when the mirror is mounte. The srew should not be moved. Fill with a syringe polyster resin into the bracket bowl and wait a few hours before mounting.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Well done, makes a change from blue.
Old English White??
Peter C
ALF
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ALF »

Not sure, and I could be wrong, as I don't have my mirrors on hand.
But if you open the mirror by removing the glass.
Will you not get access to the screw?
ALF
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ALF »

Migge

Post by Migge »

When you restore an original Raydyot mirror you will see that they have a counter plate inside. The problem with repros is the small bowl where the screw gets in. The material is too thin, like the riveted plate on the mirror. Original ones have a very massive bracket and you need massive force the get it damaged. And on original ones you can see the logo on the light alloy cone even from the inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Andy, you can saw a small grove into the end of the screw and with a scewdriver you can counter it when you torque down the nut.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks for all your suggestions guys - I will take it apart and see what works best. Will feed back on the eventual solution...
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Great to see the car (nearly) finished at The Cricketers. 😎
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!