Hawk lower steering column

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Hawk lower steering column

Post by rhattersley »

I can't get Gerry's lower steering column to fit in the gap between the modified pinion and the footwell, despite having bought a pair of smaller UJs to replace the original from the donor. The lower column looks to be several cm too long but with plenty of extra spline length. Is it normal to need to trim the lower steering column to fit?

The lengths of the relevant bits in mm:
- Lower column = 509
- Pinion (from oil seal) = 124
- Old UJ = 112
- New UJ = 102
UJ comparison
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rhattersley on Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Migge

Re: Hawk lower steering column

Post by Migge »

Are you sure the new black one is an MGB U-Joint?

I just know the old one on your pic and the newer one here:
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GLR3084
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

The new UJs are AHH6000 from MGOC, as also sold by Moss. They fit the splines on the columns & pinion perfectly, it's just that the whole assembly is too long.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, it is normal to have to shorten the steering shaft. It’s a long time since I built my car so can’t remember the amount I cut off. More than 1cm I think.
Have you checked our web site for building tips.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The intermediate shaft needs to be flexible enough to cope with varying amounts of protrusion of the main column through the foot box. Plenty have only a minimal amount sticking out which means the intermediate shaft needs to be long enough. It is fine to shorten it. You may want to wrap some tape around the end where you are cutting and cut through the tape to try to protect the splines. You may need a needle file to clean them up.
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

Thanks all. Good to know it's to be expected.

Peter - fair question about checking the web site. Turns out there are several mentions of shortening elsewhere on the forum, sorry! Not sure why I hadn't searched more thoroughly before asking, especially as usually I end up going to the other extreme!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

No worries Richard, I’m normally the one to forget the vast amount of info collected in the 289 system.
Andrew is attempting to get the wiki updated with all the building tips to ease the way for others.
Peter C
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

Updating the build wiki would be great. Well done Andrew for taking it on! And thank you too Peter for adding the tip about shortening to the wiki.

On a related note, I've wondered a few times if we could convert the standard Hawk build manual to a wiki to allow the community to update it over time (e.g. with clear, colour photos). It would also then be possible to combine it with the build tips.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I think that if we as members of the public start to amend what is a Hawk publication, there will be issues. For example if Joe Soap posts online that he did such and such during his build it would be OK, whereas if Norman Naemates added or changed what was in the build manual and it led to something being unsafe, or heaven forbid, an accident, then the responsibility could be with Hawk Cars.

Best left alone in my opinion.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)