Collapsible steering combination

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Collapsible steering combination

Post by rhattersley »

Are there any well-trodden paths for sorting out IVA compliant steering (and to a lesser extent, switchgear) on a Hawk 289? i.e. Getting from a 48-spline 3/4" column via some sort of collapsible section to a compliant steering wheel (and switchgear).
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Collapsible steering combination

Post by rhattersley »

My question is really about how do I put together a collapsible steering setup and the IVA requirement is incidental, as I quite like the idea of not being skewered in a crash. But since it overlaps with the IVA and I've now mentioned "IVA" four times, I'll re-post in the dedicated forum instead.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The standard Hawk offset intermediate column satisfies the majority of the IVA requirements and the addition of a collapsible element available from europa spares ensures compliance. The standard Hawk / VW indicator switch is compliant and the Donor MGB Steering wheel will be too as long as there are no open spokes to catch jewellery and as long as it is minimum radius/ sharpe edges compliant and the soft spongy centre is in place. If you read my build blog this will provide some details albeit an additional collapsible bit will be needed.
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

Thanks Stu. My donor hub's PCD is 9 x 100-ish mm. I can't see how to combine that with the Europa collapsible section's 4 x 68 mm PCD base, unless it involves removing the lip from the hub and making up an adaptor plate. That's a job I'd rather avoid if possible. Your build log talks about a cobra hub though, so perhaps I'm coming from the wrong starting point?