289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 289 build

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Andy,
Never had any problems with that valve, they need to be fitted vertically and advised not to be in the luggage space or interior.
I used Brake line sealant on all of my joints in the boot and also the sender gasket and my boot doesn't smell of petrol (and never has). Petrol always seems to evaporate hence you can never find a leak (the smell gives it away) despite there being one.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Andrew, you have picked up on the flaw of Stuart’s installation. Yes, over time you would have fuel collect in the bottom loop. I was advised by the manufacturer not to mount the valve like that as it needs to be above the fuel level.
Regrettably the Cobra does not lend its self to having the full roll over protection valve. You can install the other type of vent valve which requires a pressure to open out and a vacuum to allow air in. That type of valve nominally keeps the tank sealed until either pressure ( a hot day) of vacuum ( tank emptying) opens the valve and thus it should prevent the garage smelling.
As I have never had an issue with the garage smelling overall but only in the boot then to date I gave not installed anything.
I still have the smell after changing the bottom hose and the filler neck flexible. I now have the liquid PTFE sealant recommended by Stuart which I intend to add to both top and bottom joints when the tank is next low enough. Someone in the club replaced their vent hose and got rid of the smell so that’s another option.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I am confused by the way Stu has mounted his breather valve as in the picture. I fitted mine inline without it turning back up. The hose comes from the side of the filler neck, through the wheel arch then through the valve and straight on down to just below the chassis rail where it vents to atmosphere. Any over filling then just runs out to the ground.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

I fitted mine recently too.
Straight down.
I agree Clive the loop in the hose could cause a blockage with fuel.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Did the instructions not say which way up?
My understanding was that if the car was upside down then a heavy ball would effectively block off the outlet. With the ball in the lowered park position air can enter or leave to suit small changes in pressure/ vacuum.
I think Stuart has his mounted the correct way up but it’s the loop below the level of the fuel that would worry me.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I can't remember if there is an arrow on it, but a quick sook/blow shows which way to fit it.
Cheers, Clive.

amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks for all your input chaps - food for thought. Naturally I've made no progress on this, but am going to order some sealant and a new tank sender gasket tonight - the fuel gauge is not reading properly and I've tried two gauges so I'll remove the tank, test the sender, seal everything up again and see if my sarnies still taste of petrol afterwards!

Stu - is this the kind of stuff you used? https://www.permatex.com/products/threa ... c-sealant/
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Andy,
This is the stuff https://www.frost.co.uk/brake-pipe-seal-75ml/
Never had a problem with my vent valve so it can stay as it is. 10 years and counting and not a whiff of fuel in my boot :wink:
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

My fuel gauge always under read from the outset and I tried various things to try and find a solution including checking earths etc. Following on from our epic Le Mans trip in 2010 when the heat was intense and my fuel pump packed in, the canoe type fuses that were supplied in Gerry's wiring loom were actually melting. I replaced the fuse box with blade type fuses and suddenly all the electrics came back to full strength. I think the canoe fuses just don't provide a good enough electric contact for the required needs. Might be worth a check if you're having issues.
Cheers, Clive.

StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Ditto Clive,
I fitted an 8 way blade fuse carrier after one of my canoe fuse melted. It was pretty easy as it used the same spade connectors.