New Hawk 289 Project

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
mmdave
T289R Member
T289R Member

New Hawk 289 Project

Post by mmdave »

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while but now and have already picked up lots of useful information and had help from several members but I thought it was about time for a quick introduction now that I've been to Frant (obligatory collection photo below!).

collect.jpg

I was full of good intentions to start a blog but now the car has arrived my priorities have changed! I'll try to keep a log and post it eventually. Progress to date is limited but I'm sure I'll be on the road by Spring (but I don't know in what year yet!):

progress.JPG

D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave
Hawk 289, RV8, T5, MGB, Progress : 50%
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: New Hawk 289 Project

Post by amulheirn »

Hey - welcome to the club! Thanks for putting some pics up and look forward to seeing your progress...

Your pictures bring back memories of picking mine up a couple of years ago. The extra lights on the trailer caused the lights switch on my landrover to burn out, and I had to pull over in the dark. Then I, a Landrover and a trailer with a Hawk on it had to be towed home to Farnham.

Andy
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the club.
I took 15 months to get mine on the road without paint and trim so yes it will probably be the spring 2019.

I confess I never saw my chassis naked as the car was built with body left in place as I had no spare space. I can see numerous advantages of building as much as you can with the body off.
I am told it’s important that the body should be able to cure over the next few weeks. So don’t cover it up and also ensure that it is well supported to prevent any distortion. Yes it’s all but a monocoque with plenty of built in stiffness but the fibre glass needs time to properly gain its strength.

Hope your garage is warm enough to make good progress over the coming weeks.
Most of all enjoy the build.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Good luck with the build. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. What is plainly obvious to one person is completely mind boggling to another.
And remember to measure twice before drilling the hole.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:32 pm
And remember to measure twice before drilling the hole.
Peter C
:shock: :shock: :shock: Only twice!!! I think I must have measured at least a dozen times before drilling! :?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)